From time to time, apple gives OS and Apps updated with new features and bugs fixed on your Mac devices (iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air). So you do it in two different ways, Automatically and Manually update OS X and Downloaded Apps from the app store. On big updates, you have to keep back up your data. Sometimes stop updates in between might because of error after when it’s in use.
If you are facing a problem on application access and install the third-party app, you must have to check updates manually in macOS in the cases it stopped update coming in as notifications stopped.
macOS Monterey/ Big Sur/Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra & Earlier
Useful: improve battery life of MacBook.
How to Check for Updates Manually on Mac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Mini
Where is Software Update on Mac?
Due to system malfunction or bug, despite turning on auto-updates on macOS, many users still didn’t get updates on their MacBook/Mac. If you are dealing with the same situation, then check for updates manually on your macOS Ventura, Monterey/Catalina and macOS Mojave like this.
On macOS Ventura
- Go to the Apple Logo from the top menu > System Settings.
- Next, Open General > Software Update.
- Wait for a few seconds and see the pending macOS Update. Click on Download and install. if you are not showing any updates or missing. then Force quit system settings (Command + Q) recheck.
- See all options for Automatically updating macOS and apps. Click on (i) button to see the Options.
On macOS Monterey & Earlier
- Click on Apple logo > System Preferences.
- Click on Software Update.
- Note: if you can’t find software update on mac here’s the Direct Download link on Mac App Store: macOS Ventura, MacOS Big Sur, macOS High Sierra 10.13, macOS Catalina,macOS Sierra 10.12, macOS Mojave.
Note: On the current screen, mark the option “Automatically keep my Mac up to date”, to install all the future updates automatically.
Here’s the more custom settings under “Advanced..” on Download and installation of Software Update and Apps Update.
- If any pending update is available, click on the Update Now button. The more info option will show you the exact details of the update.
When you update the system software on macOS Catalina and macOS Mojave, all the applications such as FaceTime, Photos, Mail, Calendar, Safari, iTunes, Books, and Messages app are updates along. But to update other applications of Mac, visit the Mac App Store > Update tab.
Steps for Check updates manually on Mac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Mini
Auto-updates your Mac OS and Apps
The first time you will Always get Updates notification, it Might be most of the users cant agreed with it after reviews about updates feature users can do it. If you go to turn on, then your mac automatically updates own self by controlling all the process and running program situation very well. After that, your system will be a restart to apply changes.
Know updates notification from App store icon
If you disable auto-update, whenever new updates come you will see the red number badge. That will gives how many updates are ready for the update manually.
Check updates manually on Mac OS X: From App store
- Step 1: Go to the Apple Menu, And Choose App Store or From the Spotlight search find App store.
- Step 2: From the top bar, click on updates.
- Read details about all available updates will be displayed there if available through more options.
Note: Your OS X update will also be available there in a list.
For Older Version: How to Check Updates Manually on macOS
Go to the Apple menu > Software Updates and follow the on-screen instruction for update free and purchased the software.
Finally are you fail in check updates manually on Mac OS X and apps or install on your device then contact apple support. And gives reviews to us in the comment box.