Last Updated on Nov 10, 2020
Needless to say, the latest in the year 2020 got some bigger iOS 14 privacy features and security updates, alongside the substantial developments on the home screen. One of them is the Private Wi-Fi Address. The Private Address keeps the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch hidden or say makes them unpredictable for the operators, hackers, etc. When you toggle Private Wi-Fi Address ON, the iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, would use varied MAC address every time it is connected to the Wi-Fi.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
If your Apple Device is updated with iOS 14/WatchOS 7 or later version, then, Privacy Warning is likely to appear if it is not connected to the Private Wi-Fi Address. Proceed with the article, and learn what is Private Wi-Fi Address in iOS 14, and how to enable Wi-Fi Private Address.
Enable Private Wi-Fi Address in iOS 14/iPadOS 14/WatchOS 7
What is a Private Wi-Fi Address?
When the iPhone or any Wi-Fi enabled device is connected to Wi-Fi, it uses a Media Access Control address (MAC) to create a communication path between the device and the network. However, the same MAC address is shown to network operators or observers, my iPhone, which makes it easier for them to track you down or your data.
Fortunately, you no longer have to worry about that, the iOS 14/iPadOS 14 lets you enable Private Wi-Fi Address, to create a unique MAC address every time your device is connected to the Wi-Fi network.
How to Turn On Wi-Fi Private Address on iPhone and iPad?
It’s a one-time procedure to turn on the Private Wi-Fi Address on iPhone and iPad. Follow the steps and do it.
- Go to the Settings app on iPhone, iPad.
- Look for the Privacy Warning under the connected Wi-Fi network.
- Tap on info, next to the Wi-Fi to which iPhone, iPad is connected currently.
- Turn On Private Address
- For once, the iPhone, iPad will disconnect from the Wi-Fi network to update network settings, tap Disconnect.
- Wait for a moment, your iDevice will reconnect to the Wi-Fi network automatically over a private Wi-Fi address. You should see the IPV4 Address section underneath the Low Data Mode on the same screen after enabling a Private Address.
How to Turn On Private Wi-Fi Address on Apple Watch?
The same can be applied to the Apple Watch since Apple Watch also uses the Wi-Fi network, and most of the applications run through the Watch too.
- Unlock the Apple Watch, and open the Settings App.
- Tap Wi–Fi.
- Tap on Wi-Fi Network, to which your Apple Watch is connected. If it isn’t connected to any Wi-Fi network presently, then swipe right-to-left, tap on three dots to access more settings.
- Turn On Private Address.
- For once, the Apple Watch will be disconnected from the Wi-Fi network, and reconnect with the new MAC address and of course over Private Wi-Fi Address.
Genius Bar Reservation Get Free Apple Support. 🙏