Last Updated on Nov 10, 2020
A trackpad is not working after updating to Latest macOS 11. Is the trackpad not clicking? Is trackpad not responding? Are you the one who is facing such unbearable situations with Mac or MacBook? Then you are at the right place; here you will get a solution to fix Mac Trackpad not working. Apple Trackpad is very smart that works on finger gesture and touch sensitivity. Behind the Hardware sensors, there are many settings related to your MacOS. Let’s Quick look at where to check if you have a problem with your Trackpad.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Such essential settings and work through useful for your iMac, and Mac mini has Magic Trackpad 2 Silver, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air that has a built-in TrackPad.
There are many reasons behind this frozen trackpad of Mac. But you can fix it as I had set a few days before. Try the fixes below.
Question: One of my friends shared the story after I Reset/ Clean install I found the problem on trackpad gesture not working, Double click to open folder also not worked for me.
Solved Mac trackpad not working properly or mac trackpad not clicking?
Solution 1: Restart You Mac
Firstly we will start with the comprehensive solution to fix the MacBook Air’s trackpad not working, or the trackpad is not working Mac Bluetooth (Remove Device from Bluetooth system preference and Reconnect it). This fix is a bit strange, but you must try to fix the trackpad of macOS Mojave.
- #1: From the “Apple” menu restart your Mac.
- #2: After successfully Mac restarts close the lid and leave it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- #3: Now open the lid and check if the trackpad is working or not.
Solution 2: Double-Click Trackpad Not Working or Unresponsive
- Change Double Click speed to normal speed. Because fastest Speed for Double click doesn’t record if you are tapping a finger on Rampage at normal speed. I recommend setting that speed to medium speed. Follow this step, Apple logo from top Mac Menu > System Preferences > Accessibility> Mouse & Trackpad > Now Change Double Click speed to normal on the slider.
- Auto Disable or ignore Built-In Trackpad or Mouse when connecting to External or Third-Party Accessories. The last checkbox option is for Auto disable while using an external Trackpad or mouse. Uncheck “Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present“.
- If your Buit-In Trackpad is damaged or not working then we can use External Magic Trackpad.
Solution 3: Delete Trackpad PList File from Mac Library
Force Delete Property List file for Trackpad or USB mouse that we can find under the Library Preferences file. After hard reboot your Apple Mac, the Property list file will rebuild.
- Open Finder from Mac > From Top Mac Menu > Go > Go To Folder > Type “/Library/Preferences” and Hit Go button to get PList files. Find the below files and Delete it. After Deleting the files, Restart your mac and Check that your issues are fixed or not.
- com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist (Magic Trackpad)
- com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist (Magic Mouse)
- com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist (wired USB mouse)
Solution 4: Mac trackpad is hard to Click
Customize the Trackpad sensitivity or Tracking Speed. Sometimes mouse pointer is unresponsive. we can manage it from the Mac settings. Go to Apple Logo from mac menu > System Preferences >
Trackpad. under Point & Click Tab, the Last option is Tracking speed slider. Keep this speed normal.
Solution 5: Disable Force Click
Disabling force click can be helpful when your Mac’s trackpad is not working. Kindly note that this fix will only work for the MacBook’s which have the 3D touch.
- #1: Open “System Preferences” from the “Apple” menu.
- #2: Select the “Trackpad” and click on the “Point & Click” tab.
- #3: Click on “Force Click” and “Haptic feedback” and uncheck it.
Solution 6: Check the Accessibility Option,
credit goes to Spencer ().
- You may want to add another fix option to this article – open “accessibility option” by holding down the CMD, OPTION, and F5 keys at the same time. Ensure that all boxes are unchecked under “Mouse and keyboard”. one of these boxes got checked on my Mac during a software update and mouse froze on screen and many keys on the keyboard were unresponsive. Apple tech had no solutions to the problem!
Solution 7: Reset SMC
Resetting SMC is a universal solution for the hardware and power-related issues on Mac. So we will reset the SMC of MacBook with a non-removable battery.
- #1: Turn off MacBook.
- #2: Connect the adapter (MagSafe adapter).
- #3: Press and hold the Power button and Shift+Control+Option buttons simultaneously.
- First time Charging Adapter color will be Red in Shut down mode.
- #4: When you release the keys and find that MagSafe adapter changes color to green than SMC is successfully reset.
Now, Press only the power button to start your Mac.
Step #5: Now restart Mac and check Mac trackpad is working on Mojave is fixed or not.
Solution 8: Reset PRAM
Like we have seen how to reset SMC and why to reset SMC. Likewise, resetting PRAM has the same function as of SMC. So let’s fix Mac trackpad is not working on macOS Mojave by resetting PRAM.
- #1: Shut down MacBook.
- #2: Turn it on and immediately press Option+Command+P+R keys altogether.
- #3: Release the keys when you hear the second startup chime man’s Startup sound.
Solution 9: Update Your Mac
It is necessary to keep your Mac updated with the latest firmware software otherwise you will face such problems while using Mac. So it is better to update the Apps and system software periodically to use seamlessly. Open the Mac App Store and check for updates.
Solution 10: Contact Apple Support
If none of the solutions work for you, then you should take the help of professionals and get your problem solved. Hardware issues may create a big problem like this. Find the real reasons from the apple support center nearby you. Read here how to book an Apple genius bar Appointment.