Last Updated on Apr 29, 2021
A trackpad is not working after updating to Latest macOS 11. Is the trackpad not clicking? Is the trackpad not responding? Are you the one who is facing such unbearable situations with Mac or MacBook? Then you are at the right place; here, you will get a solution to fix Mac Trackpad not working. Apple Trackpad is very smart that works on finger gestures and touch sensitivity. Behind the Hardware sensors, there are many settings related to your MacOS. Let’s Quick look at where to check if you have a problem with your Trackpad Compatible iPad and Mac Models listed in this article.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Such essential settings and work through useful for your iMac, and Mac mini has Magic Trackpad 2 Silver, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air that has a built-in TrackPad.
There are many reasons behind this frozen trackpad of Mac. But you can fix it as I had set a few days before. Try the fixes below.
Question: One of my friends shared the story after I Reset/ Clean install I found the problem on trackpad gesture not working, Double click to open folder also not worked for me.
Solved Mac trackpad not working properly or mac trackpad not clicking?
Solution 1: Restart You Mac
Firstly we will start with the comprehensive solution to fix the MacBook Air’s trackpad not working. The trackpad is not working Mac Bluetooth (Remove Device from Bluetooth system preference and Reconnect it). This fix is a bit strange, but you must try to fix the trackpad of macOS Mojave.
- #1: From the “Apple” menu restart your Mac.
- #2: After successfully Mac restarts close the lid and leave it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- #3: Now open the lid and check if the trackpad is working or not.
Solution 2: Double-Click Trackpad Not Working or Unresponsive
- Change Double Click speed to normal speed because the fastest Speed for Double click doesn’t record if you are tapping a finger on Rampage at normal speed. I recommend setting that speed to medium speed. Follow this step, Apple logo from top Mac Menu > System Preferences > Accessibility> Mouse & Trackpad > Now Change Double Click speed to normal on the slider.
- Auto Disable or ignore Built-In Trackpad or Mouse when connecting to External or Third-Party Accessories. The last checkbox option is for Auto disable while using an external Trackpad or mouse. Uncheck “Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present.”
- If your Buit-In Trackpad is damaged or not working then we can use External Magic Trackpad.
Solution 3: Delete Trackpad PList File from Mac Library
Force Delete Property List file for Trackpad or USB mouse that we can find under the Library Preferences file. After a hard reboot, your Apple Mac, the Property list file will rebuild.
- Open Finder from Mac > From Top Mac Menu > Go > Go To Folder > Type “/Library/Preferences” and Hit Go button to get PList files. Find the below files and Delete it. After Deleting the files, Restart your mac and Check that your issues are fixed or not.
- com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist (Magic Trackpad)
- com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist (Magic Mouse)
- com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist (wired USB mouse)
Solution 4: Mac trackpad is hard to Click
Customize the Trackpad sensitivity or Tracking Speed. Sometimes mouse pointer is unresponsive. We can manage it from the Mac settings. Go to Apple Logo from mac menu > System Preferences >
Trackpad. under Point & Click Tab, the Last option is the Tracking speed slider. Keep this speed normal.
Solution 5: Disable Force Click
Disabling force click can be helpful when your Mac’s trackpad is not working. Kindly note that this fix will only work for the MacBook’s which have the 3D touch.
- #1: Open “System Preferences” from the “Apple” menu.
- #2: Select the “Trackpad” and click on the “Point & Click” tab.
- #3: Click on “Force Click” and “Haptic feedback” and uncheck it.
Solution 6: Check the Accessibility Option,
credit goes to Spencer ().
- You may want to add another fix option to this article – open the “accessibility option” by holding down the CMD, OPTION, and F5 keys simultaneously. Ensure that all boxes are unchecked under “Mouse and keyboard.” one of these boxes got checked on my Mac during a software update, and the mouse froze on the screen, and many keys on the keyboard were unresponsive. Apple tech had no solutions to the problem!
Solution 8: Safe Mode
Safe mode on Mac, Determine the software issue caused when we start mac and loads Mac software on startup. The safe mode process is different for M1 Mac and Intel Mac. Check if your Mac M1 or Intel.
For M1 Mac Safe Mode:
- Shut down your Mac. Wait for 20 seconds. Next, Press and Hold on the Power button until you see the Startup Disk with Settings option appear on the Screen.
- Now, Tap Select the Startup Disk. Then, Press and Hold on the Shift key and click on Continue in the Safe mode option. Release the Shift key then and log in to your Mac in Safe mode.
For Intel Mac Safe Mode:
- Shut down your Mac. Wait for 20 seconds. Turn on your Mac then Quickly Press and Hold Shift key until you Mac see a login screen with a Safe mode label at the top right corner of the screen.
Solution 7: Repair MacOS
Repair your MacOS using Built-in apple’s Disk First Aid Option under Disk utility. The repairing process will take a few minutes depends on the Data size saved on your Mac drive. Follow the below steps to Diagnose and Repair corrupted MacOS File and fix itself and automatically in the background. Follow the below steps,
- Open Disk Utility from Spotlight Search.
- Next, Select the Primary Drive from the Sidebar of the window and click on First Aid Option to Start the Repair process.
- Click on Run to Start.
Solution 8: Reinstall MacOS
Reinstall MacOS is a helpful solution to fix the issue related to software or Internal bugs. Install New copy of MacOS on your Mac without Touch Data saved on your Mac. Although, Backup Mac Data first and Start the Reinstall process on Mac in Recovery mode [M1 Mac or Intel Mac].
There is Different way to Reinstall MacOS ON Mac on M1 Mac/MacBook or Intel Mac/MacBook.
Follow this ReInstall MacOS on Mac Guide.
Solution 9: Hardware issue
Several users reported the issue with the Apple Trackpad logicboard is damage. When they are applying pressure on the bottom edge of the Trackpad Case, it’s working fine or Stopped working.
So we recommended to Take it to Apple or an AASP. And Save your Time and Money.
Solution 10: Reset SMC
Resetting SMC is a universal solution for the hardware and power-related issues on Mac. So we will reset the SMC of MacBook with a non-removable battery.
- #1: Turn off MacBook.
- #2: Connect the adapter (MagSafe adapter).
- #3: Press and hold the Power button and Shift+Control+Option buttons simultaneously.
- First time Charging Adapter color will be Red in Shut down mode.
- #4: When you release the keys and find that MagSafe adapter changes color to green than SMC is successfully reset.
Now, Press only the power button to start your Mac.
Step #5: Now restart Mac and check Mac trackpad is working on Mojave is fixed or not.
Solution 11: Reset PRAM
Like we have seen how to reset SMC and why to reset SMC. Likewise, resetting PRAM has the same function as SMC. So let’s fix the Mac trackpad is not working on macOS Mojave by resetting PRAM.
- #1: Shut down MacBook.
- #2: Turn it on and immediately press Option+Command+P+R keys altogether.
- #3: Release the keys when you hear the second startup chime man’s Startup sound.
Solution 12: Update Your Mac
It is necessary to keep your Mac updated with the latest firmware software; otherwise, you will face such problems while using Mac. So it is better to update the Apps and system software periodically to use seamlessly. Open the Mac App Store and check for updates.
Solution 13: Contact Apple Support
If none of the solutions work for you, you should take the help of professionals and solve your problem. Hardware issues may create a big problem like this. Find the real reasons from the apple support center nearby you. Read here how to book an Apple genius bar Appointment.
Magic Trackpad 2 Compatible Devices – iPad, iMac, MacBook or Mac Mini
|iPad Models||Mac Models|
|iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)|
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
iPad Pro 10.5-inch
iPad Pro 9.7-inch
iPad Air (4th generation)
iPad Air (3rd generation)
iPad Air 2
iPad (8th generation)
iPad (7th generation)
iPad (6th generation)
iPad (5th generation)
iPad mini (5th generation)
iPad mini 4
|MacBook Air (M1, 2020)|
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018 – 2019)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 – 2017)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016 – 2019)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016 – 2019)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 – 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15‑inch, Mid 2012 ‑ 2015)
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015 – 2017)
iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 – 2015)
iMac Pro (2017)
Mac Pro (2019)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
Mac mini (2018)
Mac mini (Late 2014)