Amongst the plethora of features that come with macOS, picture-in-picture mode has continued to be one of the top choices. It’s a kind of flexibility to keep YouTube tabs or exciting cricket matches while still messaging, browsing, and other tasks. However, due to some unwanted reasons, some users have got stuck with picture-in-picture not working on Mac running the latest macOS. Thus, what is the reason behind the problem, and what are the possible troubleshooting tips to resolve picture-in-picture mode not working on Mac? Let’s get the root of problem and get rid of it.
How to Enable & Use Picture in Picture Mode On Mac! If Not Working
As per my personal experience, the PiP not working on Mac can be due to an app’s lack of compatibility with this feature. In rare cases, it could be due to a software bug. Considering all the possible reasons, we have curated the best ways to fix the picture-in-picture mode not working issue on Mac.
Solution #1. Update macOS
If many apps on your Mac face issues, Apple certainly will consider users’ complaints and release an update in time. Thus, ensure you are running your Mac on the latest macOS version. To do so, read the steps below.
Step 1: Go to the Apple Menu located at the top left corner of the Mac menu bar. Select System Settings…
Step 2: Click on General from the left pane. Click on Software Update from the right side.
Step 3: Now, let your Mac check for updates…
If available, click on Install Now.
Solution #2. Restart your Mac
If there is no macOS update available, the following solution you must give a try is to restart your Mac. That’s because minor software bugs within the software can be a reason why picture-in-picture not working on Mac. To restart the device, select the Apple Menu at the left top corner of the Mac screen > Restart… > Restart from the prompted menu. Once the device restarts, check if the issue persists. If yes, then move forward to the next solution.
Solution #3. Force Quit App
If picture-in-picture isn’t working with Safari or YouTube on your Mac, try force-stopping the app and check the issue. Head to the Apple Menu at the left top corner of the Mac screen, and select Force Quit.
From the prompted window, select Safari or Youtube, and last click on Force Quit.
Solution #4. Make sure you’ve enabled picture-in-picture in Safari or any other browser on Mac
There are instances where you might have disabled the Picture-in-picture in Safari or YouTube. Thus, you might not be able to use it on your Mac. If you are using Safari or YouTube, here is how to enable it.
For Safari Users
Play a web video with Picture-In-Picture
Step 1: Access the Safari App on your Mac computer, head to the web video you want to play.
Step 2: Click and hold the Audio Button icon in the Smart Search field or a Tab.
Step 3: Select Enter Picture in Picture.
Now, drag the window in the corner of the Mac screen, and window stays put, even if you switch the desktop space. Besides this, you can modify the window size less or more.
Select the Close Button to exist picture-in-picture.
Play a web video on your HDTV
- Access the Safari App on your Mac computer, and go to the web video you’re willing to play. Remember, compatible web videos will have an AirPlay Icon integrated into the Video Controls at the bottom of the Video screen.
- Choose AirPlay Icon, and after this, select your Apple TV.
Play Picture-in-Picture on YouTube
- Access the Safari App on your Mac and then head to YouTube.
- Play the video you wish to view and work on. At this point, you can pause the video.
- Now, right-click on the middle of the video. Doing so will prompt YouTube Contextual Menu. Immediately right-click in the middle of a video. This will prompt the Safari Menu, which will have the option we want.
- At last, select Enter Picture-In-Picture.
For Google Chrome users
Chrome PiP settings are pretty similar to Safari. You can handily watch YouTube videos in a small & flexible floating window.
- Search for the YouTube video and play it.
- Long press the Control Button, and after this, immediately right-click on the video twice.
- Select Picture In Picture.
- That’s it.
- Search for the YouTube video and play it.
- Click on the Mini player Button at the screen’s bottom right corner.
- After this, continue browsing YouTube videos.
For Firefox users
Step 1: Access the Firefox on your Mac.
Step 2: Hit the menu button at the right top of the Firefox window, aka three horizontal lines.
Step 3: Choose Settings.
Step 4: Within the browsing menu, select Enable Picture-in-Picture video controls.
With the Picture-in-Picture feature enabled, access the YouTube Video and select the Picture-in-Picture Icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
This article helped you resolve all sorts of issues malfunctioning picture-in-picture mode on your Mac. Just note that picture-in-picture isn’t compatible with every app you use on your Mac.