Last Updated on Sep 3, 2021
It is crucial for everyone, be it an individual or a business, to have a Twitter presence in today’s world. You should have a Twitter profile that makes a positive and lasting first impression if you are running a business. Likewise, your business profile on Twitter should reflect your brand’s objective and values to convince potential clients.
Twitter can be a potent tool in promoting a business as social media and branding have made this platform almost impossible to ignore. There are hundreds of people connecting and sharing things on this social media platform every day, so you can’t have a better platform than Twitter to promote your business.
How to create a Twitter business account?
After creating a profile on Twitter, the first thing is to select a profile photo that represents your brand visually and fits well in that small circular space. For example, your business logo can work as a good profile photo for your Twitter account. Remember that this profile photo is not just for your profile but appears in every tweet you make, so choose it wisely.
Once you have sorted out the profile picture, it’s time to think about your display or account name. Your account name is unique to you and reflects in everything that you do on Twitter. The display name contains 15 characters, and it should be associated directly with your business. Of course, you have the liberty to change the name anytime you want.
Next up is your bio, where you can describe your pitch for the business. You can write up to 160 words in the bio, so keep your description short but sharp. Just mention what your business is all about, your values, and why should people follow you. You can embed a link to your the website and provide your official address in the bio too.
Is Twitter a good platform for business?
Twitter can be an excellent tool for small businesses or local stores to promote their products and services but not every industry requires promotions in social media. So it would help if you surveyed to find out where your customers spend their time on social media.
To determine whether Twitter is an excellent platform to promote your business or not, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- Is Twitter useful for your business?
- Can Twitter accomplish your social media goals?
- Role of Twitter in helping your business
- How can Twitter help market your business?
Once you figure out the answers to these questions, you will figure out whether you should create a business profile on Twitter or not.
Is Twitter for business free?
Well, setting up your Twitter account for the business is free. You can create a free Twitter account for your business with a company profile picture and a bio that describes your business perfectly. Also, there are innumerable options for you to promote your business account on Twitter through paid advertisements. You can promote particular tweets as well as the whole Twitter account with the help of paid promotions. If you want to promote a particular trend or hashtag on Twitter, you can do that too with the help of paid promotions.
These paid tweets or accounts target specific audiences you plan to target, but the promoted trends are visible to all users, including those using the mobile app for Twitter.
Why is Twitter suitable for your business?
Twitter helps promote small and local businesses, allowing them to promote their products and services for free. Following are few reasons why Twitter can be a great platform to promote your business.
- Followers in your Twitter account helps in promoting your brand or business. Those users who follow your business are more likely to visit the company’s website. Creating a Twitter account shows that you are interested in interacting with potential customers who expect to have a conversation with the businesses they are interested in. You can also announce new products, give updates on your upcoming events and talk about special deals with your consumers with the help of Twitter.
- Twitter helps you in knowing the market better. It also lets you monitor your competitors and find out people’s opinions about them and you. With the help of the search option in Twitter, you can find out what people think about a particular topic, enabling you to keep track of the consumer’s opinion about your company and your competitors. Your competitors might use the same logic and follow you closely on Twitter, so always think and strategise before you tweet something.
- Twitter helps businesses to interact with their customers. It gives you an alternative channel for analysing customer sentiments by gathering information on how they feel and their conversations about the services or products you are providing. You can also get an insight into what your customers like about your business and what they don’t like, which can help you make your business more successful.
- Twitter also helps in creating business networks as it is one of the unique networking tools. A Twitter presence allows your business to grow and allows you to interact with people with whom you wouldn’t have interacted otherwise. An active presence on Twitter helps you meet your potential customers, probable partners, employees, and some from whom you can source materials.
However, just like any other tool, people trained in social media marketing must manage your business Twitter account to make the most out of it. Just like its advantages, a wrong or badly timed tweet can have irreparable damages to your business. The utmost time and effort you put in determine the outcome. It would help if you explored every opportunity available to expand your business. Twitter is one of them, so it is worth giving it a shot to expand your customer base.
Pros and Cons of using Twitter for business
With over 353 million active users, Twitter is the best social media platform for you to promote your business. However, the platform had both advantages and disadvantages of using it for business. Some of which are as follows:
- If you send out a tweet from your business account on Twitter, it will reach all your followers, unlike other social media platforms. Lest not worry worry about any algorithms for the engagement of your tweets. It gives you plenty of time to prioritize on the content you post rather than worrying about how many followers will see your tweet or post.
- You cannot write long tweets of 500 or 600 words, so providing specific news or messages to your followers through tweets becomes very easy. Crafting a good tweet doesn’t take much time to post good tweets reaching out to a large audience in a short period.
- Twitter can help grow your business globally as you can reach out to people from different countries with just one tweet. If you want to break your business into the global market, Twitter can be a great starting point as you can reach millions of people in seconds with a tweet.
- Twitter lets you track the number of people that reacted to your tweets and hashtags. You can also check the reach of a particular tweet through the number of retweets it received. You can also export these data into graphs to have a better understanding.
- You don’t have to stay online 24*7 to reach out to people on Twitter. There is an option of ‘tweet-up, which allows like-minded Twitter users in the geographical area to gather offline. With this feature, you can create a tweet-up in your area, and interested individuals can meet up at a particular place offline, making your offerings seem real.
- People follow hundreds of different accounts on Twitter, and all the posts or tweets by someone they follow festure in their feed. So your followers might see your tweet but not read it. This way, you lose out on potential customers.
- You might have hundreds of followers in your Twitter account, but there isn’t any way to find out how many of them are active on Twitter. No tool helps you to determine how many people are reading your tweets or posts. You can’t say that you are reaching out to hundreds of people with just followers in your Twitter account.
- A lot is happening on Twitter every day. Right from politics, sports, current affairs to movies and TV shows are the topics of debate and discussion on Twitter. So one can easily get distracted from their main motive of promoting their business in debates and discussions with their friends and strangers on Twitter.
- You cannot please everybody simultaneously, so more business publicity will also invite some negative comments and interactions. Even though you are confident about your tweets and think they are outstanding, there will be someone out there on the internet who will dislike it and also probably be disappointed in you for putting out such a post. So always be ready to face some negativity when you tweet.
- Sending out a tweet or a post doesn’t make your business grow overnight. It takes utmost dedication and plenty time to build an online community that trusts and beliefs in you. So you should be ready to devote a couple of years to build solid relations with your online followers and consumers, which takes a lot of hard work and effort.
What to post on your business Twitter profile?
Well, there isn’t any hard and fast rule on what to post from your business Twitter profile, but you should limit yourself to things that are directly or indirectly related to the field of business you are in. Always aim to keep your tweets focused on a single topic rather than communicating multiple things through one tweet. You can also retweet positive feedback from customers and helpful articles or ideas that align with your business field.
Posting motivational videos or videos that share some information about your field of business can also be posted from your business Twitter account. Internal data from Twitter revealed that over 2 million users watch videos on the platform every day. Also, use a couple of hashtags on your tweets or posts as it helps in expanding your reach. But make sure that the hashtags you use are related to the field of business you are in, and also, don’t use too many hashtags in a single tweet. You can also tweet about the launch of any new product or service with a couple of hashtags so that it reaches a large audience. Twitter can be an excellent platform to promote any new product.