Last Updated on Dec 1, 2020
If you are using Mac for a long time, then it is not possible that you missed that startup chime when we start the Mac. However some people like it and some not. Recently one of our old Mac users found that Mac stopped making startup sound. So after a few trials and errors, we have fixed that problem. Today we will share our experience, how we troubleshoot Mac startup not working in this post. In case you have any minor hardware or a software-related error affecting Mac’s startup sound then carefully follow this guide and instantly fix this issue.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
The NVRAM and SMC targets to fix the hardware issue, and it worked perfectly to bring back the startup sound in Mac. Let’s try your luck and see if it works. Besides, if you have any though or workaround that fixed this issue, then be gentle and add it in the comments section to help others.
Workable Troubleshooting to Fix Apple Mac Startup Sound Won’t Work
Make Sure System Startup Sound is enabled from the System Preferences settings. By Default, Apple removed the option for turn on/Turn off System Sound, Now, The options are re-showing on latest macOS. Follow the below steps to Enable Startup Sound on MacBook, Mac.
- Go to the Apple logo from the top mac menu > System Preferences.
- Next, Click on Sound > Sound Effects.
- Enable the checkbox option, Play Soun on Startup.
- That’s it.
Try this: Enable Mac Startup Sound Using Terminal
As per the reports and complaints, many users didn’t hear the Startup Chimes when the Mac or MacBook boots up, which is quite unacceptable for the ones who love that sound. Although it’s not something new, people have fixed this by resetting the NVRAM and SMC, before going into this, I’d suggest you enter the following code into the Terminal app and see if it works.
- Press the Command+Space to launch Spotlight.
- Type Terminal and open it. or Find Terminal from the Launchpad.
- Enter the following code and press Return, Next, you have to enter Your Mac system login password, Once you successfully run, Hope you fixed after Restart your MacBook/Mac.
sudo nvram StartupMute=%00
If the above code didn’t work then try the second one,
sudo nvram BootAudio=%0
This will force Mac to play startup chime.
Fix 1: Check if You Haven’t Muted the Mac
Sometimes when you are irritated by the sound of Mac and mute it, but forgot to un-mute then it might be possible that Mac doesn’t chime at startup. So go and check the volume of Mac isn’t low or muted. If you haven’t muted the sound on Mac, then continue to read the next solution to fix Mac not making startup sound.
Fix 2: Reset PRAM on Mac
Resetting PRAM is very helpful to fix hardware related problems like MacBook Air’s keyboard is not responding, or trackpad is lagging and much more. Hence we will also try to fix Mac doesn’t chime at startup.
How to reset PRAM on Mac,
- Power off your Mac.
- Press and hold Command+Option+P+R keys altogether.
- Next, press the power button and continue to hold that keys.
- When Mac restarts a second time, release the buttons.
Further assistance, you can see a given video tutorial too and can Reset PRAM.
Fix 3: Reset SMC
In case if resetting PRAM is not helpful for you then this will resolve Mac startup sound not working.
- Shut down Mac.
- Remove the power adapter or power source and also disconnect external accessories from Mac.
- Now, press and hold Shift+Control+Option+Power keys together.
- Release all the keys together after a few seconds.
- Power on the Mac by pressing the Power button.
If this solution fails, then you need to contact Apple Support for further guidelines.
Apart from given above tips, you have another workaround then please share with us in the comments.
Genius Bar Reservation Get Free Apple Support. 🙏