The most common reason behind the block or disable USB port on macOS Catalina, Mojave, high Siera security. I am not talking about remotely track data by attacking and cracking security. I am not criticizing apple’s security. Because apple always serves to lock security on data.
So, People have the best option to cheat useful files, Folder, and Application using the USB slot. Normally apple device has three to four USB ports, But using the below steps you can disable or turn off all port at once.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Note: if you are using USB Keyboard or Mouse then don’t try, Otherwise you would be put in trouble. So first arrange USB accessories then disable.
Suggestion: Keep backup before remove the USB system file from Mac.
Step for the block or Disable USB Port on Mac, MacBook and Unblock it
- Step 1: Launch Finder from the spotlight search on Mac.
- Step 2: Next, Go to the top menu option Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter the below system folder path for directly jump there.
- Copy below the line,
- And Go there.
Now, you have to find two files on below name,
Right click on desktop, And Select “New Folder“. Give a name Backup to easy find. Now Move/Copy these file to backup folder and Both files you have to delete from there , again i repeat that backup files before move to trash.
- First Covert your File system in Grid view.
- Now Searh IO.. in Search box. and Hit the Return button from keyboard.
- Then, Select Search from Extensions only, and Select it and Again Keep cursor on search box and hit return to search again in desired folder.
- Now File the files IOUSB.. and IOFIRE.. select these two file and move in to backup folder before delete from Extensions folder.
Note: Files you have to move into the trash and also clear trash.
Once you are done,
Reboot your Mac by simply restart it. And test once the USB drive is detecting or not.
Second Alternate Way Using Terminal: Block or Disable USB port on Mac
Run below three common commands from the terminal, To open the terminal, Search easily from spotlight search by type “Terminal”.
CP /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassstorageClass.kext ~/backup/
Sudo srm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
Sudo touch /Sytem/Library/Extensions
Important [In lateset MacOS EI Capitan or Newer macOS have to disable sip using Terminal in Recovery mode], here, access Terminal in macOS Recovery.
- Turn off your Mac, and Turn on again. After that Startup sound Press and Hold Command + R key from keyboard. Until you see Disk Utility window on Mac Screen. From top mac menu bar, Utilities > Terminal. Now Run csrutil disable command.
- enter “csrutil disable” and Hit return button to run command.
- After successfully run, Restart your Mac and Test once.
6 Solutions to Re-Enable or Unblock USB Port on Mac
Solution 1: Move Backup Files to Extensions folder
To unblock locked USB port on Mac Running latest version of macOS. Place back backup iOUSB port files from the backup folder to the extensions folder. After that Restart your Mac. Go to Apple Logo > Restart.
Solution 2: Reset SMC or PRAM/NVRAM
Resetting the SMC on a MacBook
- First Shutdown (Apple logo > Shut Down..) your MacBook.
- Now, Connect your MacBook with the power adapter.
- After that use these keyboard keys and Hold Shift+Control+Option and the Power button at the same time.
- Then Release all the keys at the same time.
- Now you MacBook Restart/Turn on itself after SMC reset.
Resetting the SMC on an iMac, Mac mini, or Mac Pro [None Battery Mac System]
- First Shut down your Mac (Apple logo > Shut down).
- Now Disconnect the power cord from the plug.
- After that press and hold the Power button for 5 seconds and release.
- Then, Reconnect the original apple power cord and switch the Mac back on using the turn-on button.
Reset PRAM/NVRAM [Battery & Non Battery]
- First, turn off your Mac (Apple Logo > Shut Down).
- Now, Turn on again, holding down these keys, Command+Option (ALT)+P+R at the same time.
- Hold down the keys until you hear a startup sound and the mac screen will flash.
- Listen sound for the chime sound and your Mac will boot up.
Solution 3: Reinstall lateset MacOS
still not fixed or Don’t have USB port backup on your Mac. Sometimes internet software issues unable to detect your Mac Accessories on the USB port. So people are using Bluetooth accessories. Otherwise, fix all the problems with Reinstall Latest version of macOS on Mac. This reinstallation process never lose the data from your mac.
- Restart your Mac.
- After Mac Startup sound press and hold command + R key from the keyboard.
- Next, press and hold until you see the macOS Utility window on the screen.
- The second option is Reinstall macOS. Click on it and Continue the process.
- Follow the on-screen instruction and hope you get a fixed USB port not working or unblock again.
Solution 4: Repair DISK Drive on Mac
Sometimes corrupted MacOS Version or Buggy software installed on Mac change the file system of Mac. So I recommend to Repaid DISK macOS without Reinstall or Erase your Mac.
On your Mac, use Spotlight search and Try Disk Utility window. From the Sidebar, select your macOS drive partition and Select First aid. Tap on Run to start the repairing process. Follow this tutorial on How to Repair macOS on Mac. Read on more, Repair Hard Drive on Mac.
Solution 5: Clean Install MacOS
The clean install process will Erase all the data from your Mac Hard Drive and reset all file systems that causing serious problems like this. To do that, Before you start we can backup user data to External Drive or Backup on Time Machine. After that, Restart your Mac then Quickly press and hold Command + R key after startup sound, Until you see MacOS Utility windows on the screen. Now Go with the Disk Utility > Select Drive from sidebar > From to Tab click on Erase to remove all drive data > After erasing compare close this window. Now you will see MacOS Utility window on-screen > Select Install macOS second option. click on it to start installation in the desired drive. Check full tutorail on Clean install MacOS Catalina.
Solution 6: USB Port on Mac Not Working
Still not fixed, then you should check and diagnose the problem with the hardware of mac. Take away your Mac nearby apple store and ask for the genius bar to support and possible solutions to fix the USB port disabled issues. Also Write back us about what are you looking for the solutions and Helpful suggestion from your end.
Here I experienced on macOS by Disable USB Port on Mac. Make sure it’s working on the older version, I am not sure. most probably works if I believe.