Last Updated on Nov 10, 2020
Most iPhone users worrying about the physical home button not working on iPhone 8 (Plus), iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S (Plus), iPhone 5S/SE. The problem on the home button sensor does not work after long enough heavy usage and time, Apple gave an official way to move the home screen means without press the home button without any third-party apps and the external device, hardware repair/ replacement.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Let’s see how to resolve the problem Home button not working on iPhone, iPhone, iPad model in free of cost after the expired hardware warranty. If you know about Assistive touch under the accessibility that must resolve your problem on the home button broken, not pressing or not working after iOS 14/ iOS 13 updating.
Useful in case: Alternate Ways – if the iPhone sleep/wake button doesn’t work.
Step to Fix Home Button Not Working on iPhone
Determine the Home Button
At first, analyze the home button by yourself; try to press gently from all the sides. If there’s any loose connection between the home button and internal parts can be fixed by pressing the home button from all the sides.
If the home button works on when pressing it from the far left side or right side or top or bottom, then it is might be the hardware problem.
Look for the Water Damage
Closely look for the water damage near the Home button, charging port, and headphone jack (if it has). Liquid damage can stop the home button functionality. Use the torchlight to see clearly.
Start Troubleshooting for Software Issues
If the Home button is not working at all, then try the below troubleshooting tricks to deal with the software issues. It’ll take a few minutes to try them.
Solution 1: Charge the iPhone
If you’ve used the iPhone for long, or until the battery drained to 0%, in that case, put the iPhone to charge for at least 1hour and give some time to charge. Later, press the Home button and see if the iPhone responds upon interaction with the home button.
Solution 2: Check for iPhone Software Update
Its a matter of fact that, certain functions including hardware stops working like the iPhone home button not working iPhone 8 or iPhone 7. This can happen due to outdated software or glitch, a simple solution to address such problems is to keep the iPhone up to date.
- Open the Settings App
- Tap on General
- Click on Software Update [Make sure your phone is connected to Wi-Fi network.]
Solution 3: For Restart or Reboot the Device
Try refreshing the device by restarting it, if you can.
For iPhone 6S Plus/6S or Earlier:
- Press and hold the Home Button and Sleep/Wake Button until the Apple logo appears.
For iPhone 7/7Plus:
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and Power button until you see the Apple logo.
For iPhone 8/8Plus:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.
Solution 4: Change Home Button Intensity
You can change the intensity of the Home Button, how quick do you want to operate the home button. There are three options available to choose from, 1, 2, and 3.
- Open the Settings
- Tap General.
- Go to the Home Button.
- Change Click settings to 1 or 2 or 3 or try all of them, see if it works.
Solution 5: Reset All Settings
Undoubtedly, sometimes clearing all the settings to default positively resolves the random errors. You might want to try this out. Don’t worry, it will just reset the settings, all of your personal data including photos, contacts, messages are safe and secure.
- Navigate to the Settings App.
- Tap on the General.
- Scroll down to Reset.
- Select Reset All Settings.
- Type the iPhone’s passcode and confirm Reset.
Solution 6: Contact Apple Support
If you are tired of trying all the solutions and neither of them fixes the iPhone home button not working, then its time to schedule an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar and let them fix it for you.
Trick: Turn On Assistive Touch/Virtual Home Button
Use the Virtual Home button from Assistive Touch on iPhone’s lock screen on the home screen.
in iOS 13 and Later –
- Open the Settings App
- Tap Accessibility.
- Select Touch.
- Tap on AssistiveTouch.
- Turn toggle Assistivetouch on/Green. That’s it!
in iOS 12.4.2 and Earlier all iPhone’s
- Step 1: Go to the Settings app and launch it.
- Step 2: Next, Tap on General > Accessibility > Scroll down and tap on Assistive touch and enable it. For disable, assistive touch (Dark icon on the home screen), move there, and disable it.
- Step 3: On your Screen, you will see a white round button with the black area. Just tap on it, the Home option will appear in the square area. Just tap on it when you want to move the home screen from anywhere in the iPhone application or Game.
Note: Home button is not working and wants turn off iPhone without the home button, tap on Assistive touch icon on-screen > Device and Just tap and hold, you will see “Slide to power off” slider option for turn off.
Before that you have purchased an Apple care plan when you bought, you have a chance to replace the iPhone in case your device didn’t drop or Accidental Damage. For that, you can replace the device with express replacement service.
Premium Support is Free Now
Otherwise, you can contact the regional apple support center and verify with the serial number (Settings > General > About > Serial Number) if the device in warranty then you don’t have to pay for that.
Such big help by apple when the Home button is not working on iPhone running latest iOS.