Last Updated on Mar 31, 2022
Tax season has approached, triggering the annual stress of managing taxes correctly. You can use H&R Block’s downloadable or online tax filing software options as a filer.
Taxes are difficult enough to complete even with the best tax software, so the more options you have for completing them, the better. H&R Block offers more tax preparation choices than any of its competitors, including in-office services, DIY software, internet applications, and various virtual professional assistance options.
The software created is for average individuals, not tax professionals. Even when using the company’s free version, which covers a variety of “typical” tax filing situations, users may expect a guided choice for completing their taxes.
H&R Block is a service that anyone can use
If you’re doing your taxes on your own this year and, like me, are ready to pay a premium for convenience, H&R Block has a solution for you. In addition, H&R Block’s advice would benefit anyone who has never filed taxes on their own before or who has just faced substantial life changes.
The ability to import and upload tax forms saves time, but if you’re comfortable inputting figures manually and want to save money, cheaper (or free) choices are available.
H&R Block once again provides a user experience that simplifies tax preparation. However, H&R Block is a high-end product with a high price tag. So before you use it, you’ll want to be sure it’s the greatest tool for filing your taxes this year.
H&R Block Deluxe focuses on W-2 income and interest/dividends and supports Schedule A, so you can evaluate if itemizing is better than taking the standard deduction. H&R Block Deluxe combines a strong mix of tax issue coverage, usability, and taxpayer guidance, earning them an Editors’ Choice award for online tax preparation services three years ago. This year’s Editors’ Choice winner is still one of the greatest tax-preparation websites, second only to TurboTax.
Numerous modifications to the company’s 2022 software have been made to improve the user experience and reduce errors, confusion, and annoyance. The modification like Earned income tax credit (EITC), Child tax credit (CTC), and Schedule C have all been overhauled. In addition, individual cryptocurrency sales will now be able to be reported, and state residency rules will be easy to grasp. In addition, the topic area hubs (homepages for income, deductions, and other topics) have been rebuilt to make tax data entry faster and easier. H&R Block also maintains its interface with Wave, a free small business accounting service it bought a few years ago and was named a PCMag Editors’ Choice.
Like a Visit to the Office
If you’ve ever been in a tax preparer’s office, you’ve likely observed that they know just what questions to ask and what to ask them. H&R Block Deluxe and other online personal tax preparation websites work similarly but without human involvement. As you work, you don’t see graphical representations of tax forms. Rather, these sites display their inquiries using wizard-like capabilities. Then, when you enter a response, the website works in the background to perform the necessary computations and fill out the applicable IRS forms and schedules.
As you continue through the process, you’ll be able to keep track of your progress through periodic summaries of your previous work and real-time cash values showing what you owe or owe at that point in the process. There are several options for obtaining assistance. You can click links for more extensive explanations if you don’t understand a particular query. The greatest services never expose you to the IRS’s instructions’ sometimes-complex wording. Instead, their tax experts alter the official documents to make them more understandable to the typical taxpayer.
These websites do three things when you’ve researched all of the topics that pertain to your financial position.
Step 1: They go over your return and point out any issues they see so you may fix them.
Step 2: They convey relevant information to any state returns you need to file.
Step 3: They’ll also help you through e-filing or printing your tax return.
You can complete the steps up to this point without paying any money.
For those in the following scenarios, H&R Block offers free federal and state tax filing:
- W-2 income
- Unemployment income
- Benefits from Social Security
- Individuals with Student Loan Debt
- People claiming the Child Tax Credit
However, not everyone will be lucky to utilize H&R Block for free. For example, filers with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) or dependent care bills must upgrade to the Deluxe tier.
H&R Block Charges:
H&R Block’s main lineup consists of four services.
- Free Online (both federal and state) supports Form 1040, as well as W-2 income, dependents, student costs, and retirement plan income, as well as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
- Deluxe Online ($49.99 federal, $36.99 per state) adds several features, including itemizing deductions, technical help, self-employed income with no deductions, and the ability to organize and keep your tax returns for up to six years. In addition, schedules D, E, and F are now included in Premium Online ($69.99 federally and $39.99 per state).
- Schedule C and extra guidelines for the self-employed are included in Self-Employed Online ($109.99 federal, $36.99 per state). In addition, as of this writing, H&R Block is now giving discounts on its online tax preparation services. Deluxe, for instance, costs $29.99. Prices have risen in the past as the reporting deadline approached.
- A slew of add-on services provides you access to tax experts in various ways (CPAs, EAs, and H&R Block agents). For example, TaxPro Review ($59.99 – Deluxe) is just what it says on the tin. After you’ve finished your return, an H&R Block tax professional will review, sign, and e-file it. In addition, Online Assist ($40 if added to Deluxe) provides unlimited, on-demand assistance on any device via chat, phone, and screen-sharing.
Tax preparation services’ fees fluctuate throughout the tax season, and they tend to rise as the filing deadline approaches—another reason to avoid e-filing at the last minute.
Downloadable Software from H&R Block
H&R Block offers four different software options for download. Each tier adds new tools to help with increasingly complicated tax returns.
- Basic Version of H&R Block:
The Basic program is a good choice for folks who file basic returns and don’t itemize deductions because it can easily import W-2s and the previous year’s returns. Importing from TurboTax and Quicken software is one of the other features. You can also use up to five free federal e-files, limitless federal preparation, and printing, and monitor your audit risk. The drawback is you won’t be able to file for free in your home state. You’ll have to spend $39.95 for state software and $19.95 for an e-file if you want to incorporate state filing.
- H&R Block Deluxe + State Version
Homeowners, investors, and anyone with more sophisticated tax demands can benefit from the Deluxe edition. It includes all basic software features and assistance with reporting investment income, stock options, property sales, and retirement income. It also includes a personal state download and aims to maximize deductions such as mortgage interest and real estate tax.
This edition costs $39.95 for federal and state returns, plus $19.95 for state e-filing. Alternatively, you can pay $29 for the Deluxe edition, including federal return preparation.
- Premium Version of H&R Block
Self-employed individuals as freelancers and independent contractors and those who own rental property should use H&R Block’s Premium version. It offers all of the features of Deluxe software plus extra tools for rental property and self-employment income and costs, including Schedule C help to maximize self-employment deductions.
The federal and state returns fee is $64.95 + $19.95 for e-filing the state return.
- Premium & Business Tax Preparation by H&R Block:
Small business owners looking for professional tax software can choose Premium & Business. It includes all of the features of Premium plus help with preparing and submitting forms for companies, S corporations, partnerships, LLCs, estates, trusts, and nonprofit organizations. It also allows you to produce payroll and employer documents and maximize your vehicle deductions, depreciation, and expenditure benefits. It also gives you access to a single-state program.
Premium is $49.99, while Self-Employed is $84.99, plus an extra $36.99 for e-filing the state return.
What’s New HR Block Tax Software in 2022?
H&R Block is putting a lot of emphasis on its online support program in 2022. Screen sharing, video calling, and support from mobile apps are all included in the package. Users who subscribe to the online assistance program get on-demand help from enrolled agents and CPAs who can answer specific tax questions.
Aside from considerable upgrades to the Online Assistance service, H&R Block made minor tweaks to an already excellent product; knowledge articles now have greater search functionality. Additionally, the company provides greater “assistance” in translating jargon throughout the filing process.
- H&R Block’s cross-platform interaction has also been strengthened. Users can begin submitting photographs of their tax paperwork to H&R Block. Users can complete their tax filing later on a computer or another device. Between the two systems, information appears to be saved flawlessly.
- Gig workers with less than $5,000 in business costs may be eligible to file using the Premium tier rather than the Self-Employed tier, which offers better value. It’s wonderful to see H&R Block continue to help the country’s numerous gig workers in this way.
H&R Block Online was named one of the finest tax software alternatives for Stock Market Investors in 2022.
H&R Block makes tax filing simple in 2022:
H&R Block employs logical procedures to assist filers in completing their tax returns as painlessly as possible. Users can utilize the questionnaires, guided software, and navigation bars to figure out what they’ve done and how much more to accomplish.
Most filers will find tax filing uncomplicated with built-in calculators, clear language, and comprehensive import options.
Common credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), the Child Tax Credit, and the American Opportunity Tax Credit, are simple to claim. Likewise, pre-refunded credits (such as the Advanced Child Tax Credit) and pre-paid taxes were similarly simple to reconcile with the software (such as quarterly tax estimates).
Notable Features of H&R Block:
Because H&R Block is a high-end tax software, it comes with a large range of noteworthy features.
- Easy Navigation:
H&R Block continues to employ a question-and-answer format to guide tax filers through the software. When feasible, the questions are clear of jargon. When H&R Block utilizes jargon, it uses “Read More” bubbles or other hover features to explain the phrases.
- To expedite the filing process, use short questionnaires:
For example, H&R Block provides users with a short inquiry at the start of each major section (Income, Deductions, Credits, and so on). The questionnaire helps each user focus on the areas of the software that are most important to them. Thereby preventing consumers from becoming overwhelmed by paperwork.
- To ease the process, you can upload tax documents:
H&R Block is one of the most user-friendly online tax preparation programs. Users can submit various forms, including 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, W-2 forms, etc. Then, if the form is standard, you can use H&R Block to upload it. H&R Block’s app even allows users to take images of their paperwork and upload them. Then, when they’re ready to file, the software will extract information from the photos and fill in the blanks.
- Depreciation and Expense Calculators That Work:
H&R Block includes simple mileage, depreciation, and other expense calculators. These make filing simple for anyone who doesn’t want to undertake their depreciation calculations.
- Free Tech Support via Live Chat:
On the Deluxe, Premium, and Self-Employed tiers, H&R Block provides free live chat tech assistance. It also provides “tax recommendations,” which is not tax advice. Rather, the free assistance assists users in locating credits, deductions, and other aspects of the software that they may have overlooked.
- Option To Upgrade To Tax Assistance:
The H&R Block Online Assist program gives filers unrestricted access to tax-filing specialists. The add-on is costly, but it ensures that users receive the answers they require from a qualified individual.
Significant Drawbacks of H&R Block
H&R Block has only a few major flaws as premium software.
- Contributions to a Self-Employed Retirement Account Cannot Be Calculated:
As a result, self-employed folks have more freedom when putting money into their retirement plans. H&R Block, unfortunately, does not compute the maximum contribution amount for filers.
A tax filer may unintentionally contribute more than the maximum amount or contribute less than the maximum amount, not realizing they have more room to contribute. It isn’t a problem that will affect many more filers, but it is an unexpected omission.
- To report HSA contributions, you must pay a fee:
H&R Block has a few price snares, one of which being HSA contributions. You’ll have to pay for H&R Block’s Deluxe edition if you have a health savings account (HSA), even via your workplace. It isn’t outrageously priced, but it isn’t free.
- Limited Financial Institution Integrations:
H&R Block does not have native integrations with brokerages or cryptocurrency exchanges to compute capital gains from trading activities. As a result, stock and cryptocurrency investors may have the information to fill out Schedule D filings.
The 1099 forms may be sufficient for H&R Block to complete the work for you in some situations, but this isn’t always the case. Compared to TurboTax, which has a variety of integrations, this can be time-consuming.
- Audit Assistance at a High Price:
Worry-Free Audit Support is available for $19.99 through the company. Moreover, it is a one-time price and all other software costs. Some organizations offer audit support as a value-added service rather than a standalone product.
H&R Block’s websites are protected with numerous layers of security, including industry-standard web-browsing encryption and multi-factor authentication. Your personal information is safeguarded and monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week. External security experts execute audits and risk assessments for the organization, and its data centers, network, and servers are located in secure locations.
The minimalism of H&R Block:
The H&R Block interface is simple to use, straightforward, and visually appealing, and it takes the effort to teach you new concepts as you go. It’s not always simple to find specific areas, but a banner across the top indicates where you are in the filing process.
The help menu is accessible from all pages, and you can click to access the chat support portal throughout. In addition, embedded “learn more” links provide further information without navigating around, the help menu is available from all pages, and you may use the chat support portal at any time.
H&R Block Tax Software Features are helpful:
- You have the option to switch providers: H&R Block can import your previous year’s return from a PDF file from any supplier.
- Auto-import certain tax documents: You can upload a snapshot of your W-2 or import it from your employer, saving you time from keying in numbers from little boxes. In addition, you may import a variety of 1099s, and if you have an Uber driver’s account, you can also import your 1099-K or 1099-MISC directly from Uber.
- Calculate your donation: DeductionPro, which helps assess the deduction value of donated clothes, home items, and other objects, is included in the Deluxe, Premium, and Self-Employed packages.
- Platform mobility: Because the software is online, you can log in from different devices if you want to work on your return from time to time. There’s also a smartphone app to download.
If you’re getting a refund on your taxes:
You have various options for receiving your refund, regardless of how you file:
- Money is deposited directly into a bank account.
- Existing H&R Emerald Cardholders can use their cards to load refunds.
- Loaded onto an Amazon gift card (3% bonus).
- Spruce mobile banking.
- Paper check.
- Apply the return to your taxes for the next year.
- Direct the IRS to invest your refund in US Savings Bonds.
- You can pay for the software out of your refund, but there is a $39 fee.
About the H & R Block app:
The newly updated H&R Block Tax Prep app allows you to prepare your taxes on any device, with on-demand assistance from our tax specialists if necessary. * With ease, import or upload your W-2s, then prepare at your own pace. Start for free and receive the highest possible refund, guaranteed.
- Import all of your tax information if you upload or take a picture of your W-2.
- Start your taxes in the app, finish them on another device, or vice versa – your return follows you wherever you go.
- With Online Assist, you may get expert guidance from a tax professional if you need it.
H&R Block has products that are comparable to TurboTax but are less expensive. The user interface is current and simple to use in all versions. The free version is more comprehensive than competing services’ free plans. H&R Block provides- four different ways to file taxes for uncomplicated tax issues at any income level; this is a completely free solution, Step-by-step instructions. Upgrade to get immediate access to a tax professional.
H&R Block is an accounting firm that specializes in tax preparation. Easy way to file taxes on your own or with the help of a professional and get the maximum refund.
The Mobile H&R Block Experience:
An Android and an iOS app are available from H&R Block. In addition, you can file or view a return you started or completed on another device with the H&R Block Tax Prep and File app. As we discovered last year, the mobile app does an excellent job of mimicking the desktop experience. It has an easy-to-use interface, a helpful support system, and full tax coverage.
The screens look the same in the browser-based version, with a few exceptions. The mobile versions, for example, have icons at the bottom of the screen that provides a second path to panels and tools. So if you’re used to seeing your phone for productivity apps, filing your taxes on the go shouldn’t be too difficult.
H&R Block is a formidable competitor to TurboTax, with many filing alternatives. H&R Block is your sole option if you want to file your taxes online and want the confidence that you can chat to a real person at a desk in a physical place if you get stuck.
H&R Block is a reliable and thorough tax preparation website. Whether you’re a repeat customer or new to H&R Block, you’ll find it combines great preparation tools and coaching to help you earn the maximum refund possible.
H&R Block Online should be on the shortlist for those who qualify for free filing. Although it is a subscription product, the free version is quite comprehensive. Additionally, the software’s Premium edition may be an excellent deal for investors and gig workers.