MacBook Pro Screen Flickering is one common issue reported by many users, just like Verticle lines on iPhone screen. You’re just working on a project and suddenly the display is colored lines or starts turning off and on repeatedly. While restarting the MacBook, it runs smoothly for some time and again screen flickers; in such cases you should look for a permanent solution from Quick Advice, identify MB Screen Problem, GPU, Apple Support, and more… There are two possibilities, either it is a software bug or hardware damage, and fixing software glitches is in our hands.
If this troubleshooting doesn’t work for you, then run towards the Apple Store or nearest store and get it repaired. But first try the below solutions, and save your precious time. If you’ve never restarted the MacBook, then start with it or jump to the next solution.
- Quickly Turn off Your Mac System
- Keep your Mac Packaging Box for Easy to Replace or Carry to Apple Support.
Fix MacBook Pro Retina Screen Flickering
Your MacBook screen partially showing, then try to Restart from Screen, or Use Power button.
First and foremost, when the MacBook shows any type of issues, you should reboot the MacBook, mostly it resolves many minor problems like this. Close all the applications and restart the macOS. Here’s how to do it.
- From the top menu, Click on the Apple icon.
- Select Restart.
Reset NVRAM or PRAM
Reset NVRAM or PRAM is resets certain MacOS functions such as Date & Time, Display, Startup Disk, and more.
here’s a guide for Reset NVRAM or PRAM On M1 MacBook, Apple said, M1 Silicon Chip mac doesn’t store the information in PRAM or NVRAM. We can Reset by simply Restart your Mac [Apple Logo from top Mac Menu > Reset].
- Power Off the MacBook.
- Press the Command+ Option + P + R keys at the same time until the machine reboots after the second startup chime and MacBook with T2 chip, the Apple logo appears and disappears for a second time.
Reset MacBook SMC
Power fluctuating could cause the screen flickering on the MacBook, the only way to reset the battery, power management is to reset the MacBook. Here’s how to reset your MacBook SMC.
Reset SMC with T2 Chip
- Power Off the MacBook.
- Press the Command + Option + Shift for 7 seconds and then press the Power button.
- Keep holding these keys for 7 seconds, after few seconds turn on the Mac.
Reset SMC with Nonremovable Battery
- Turn Off the MacBook.
- Press the Shift + Command + Option and Power button, all four keys for 10 seconds.
- And you can turn on the Mac by pressing the Power button.
Reset SMC with Removable Battery
- Power Off the MacBook.
- Remove the battery safely. Ask expert or Apple Support about the same if you don’t know how to remove the battery.
- Hold the Power key for 5 seconds.
- Reinstall the battery correctly and then Power On the MacBook.
Is there a Problems with Mac Screen or GPU Graphics
To Check mac Screen with External Display: if you are an expert or want to test, is there an issue with your screen hardware. then Use External Monitor For Mac, Connect your Mac, MacBook, iMac with an external monitor and check the issues showing on the external monitor or not. if yes, then there is a problem with the Screen. and have to replace it yourself or quickly find an apple service center near me.
To Check GPU Performance on Mac: Cinebench‘s free cross-platform performance checking tools help you to get the real performance of your Mac’s GPU.
Fix MacBook Display’s Loose connection from Inside
if you are not a technical Mac user, but you have rough ideas or past experience about you to fix up the loose connection by a hard press on the right part of the device. the do yourself or also you can get the Apple service benefits free from Apple Genious bar. that’s available on selected store, See Below Video
To get free service from apple, you have to check mac’s Warranty status online, Get free replacement of hardware part or Mac Replacement for free. This will helps to save hundreds of dollars and time as well.
Alternatively, updating the macOS to the latest version could fix the MacBook Pro retina screen flickering issue and other bugs that you might not be aware of. Moreover, the new macOS update brings tons of improvements and new features to make the MacBook faster and reliable.
- Click on the Apple Logo from the top left corner, and choose System Settings.
- Select General > Software Update.
- Download and install the software update if available
Turn Off Automatic Graphics Switching
For the MacBook with two graphics cards, the Automatic Graphics Switching setting makes the device more reliable and efficient. However, this setting could cause the screen flickering on MacBook Pro. Therefore, turn it off and see if the issue still persists.
- Go to the System Settings, to do so, click on Apple icon.
- Select Energy Saver.
- Deselect Automatic graphics switching option.
Disable True Tone
True Tone is available on MacBook 2018 or later devices, basically, it automatically adjusts the brightness and colors to suit the environment and light conditions around you. This function operates real-time, meaning it will continuously use GPU to detect the environment and make changes accordingly.
Contact Apple Support
Lastly, if nothing works for you, then book an Apple Genius Bar appointment and get the Apple Technician’s help. They will definitely found a proper resolution to it.