This tutorial helping out you to create a Table of Contents in Word document on a daily basis while you are creating a word document with multiple pages. Also, manage Multiple Headings and Subheadings in the Table of contents, Then Edit, Modify and Remove TOC on MS Word. Using this article, Make the Content Index of the whole Doc file on the first page or Anywhere that you want.
Later on, we can update Headings, Make Subheadings in the Table of contents. also know how to Update page numbers in the Table of contents in Microsoft Word 365, 2007, 2013, 2016. we prepared a hands-on video tutorial, Given in the last of this article.
Use Verity of Table of Contents design, to make that attractive. let’s see.
This Table of Contents in Microsoft Word will work like links or Hyperlinks. Just click on the heading and move to word document by a jump in that content.
Step to Create a Table of Contents in Microsoft Word on Mac and Windows
- First Apply Headings in Whole Documents. To make subheadings, Use the Headings number [Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, Heading 4, and Heading 5] in a hierarchy. Heading 2 will become a subheading of Heading 1, Heading 3 becomes a subheading of Heading 2, and so on.
Headings Type available under the home tab in a word document.
- add a new page at the top for the Table of content or Move the heading time into a new page using the Page Break function. Keep the cursor on the position when you add a new Blank page or Move into a new page. Go to insert tab > Select Blank page to add a new page or Page Break for a move into another page.
- Add a Table of Content, Keep one blank page using the above step, and Add a Table of content on first bank page by following the below step,
- Keep the Cursor on the First blank page, Select Preferences Section > Select Table of Contents > here’s a list of predefined Table format > Select any of them and add Table of contents automatically.
- That’s it.
- If you are making changes in documents like move content to a new page or Change Subheadings.
- then you have to modify the Table of content once the changes applied to Microsoft word. Follow the Next topic.
Modify Existing Table of Contents in Microsoft Word
That means you have to update Headings types, Remove or add new Headingd or Change Page number in the Table of Contents into a Word file.
That’s all possible with a simple step.
- Select the Table of Content in the word document, and click on the Down arrow icon near to Table of Contents. and Select Update Table.
- Now, the Document will ask to update the table for, “Update Page number only” or “Update the entire table“. select the preferred option and click on ok to apply changes on Table of Content in Word Table at top of the document. Or Correct Page number in Table of Content in Word, if you added some content or moved content on a new page using page break.
- See Introduction is added in headings, in the same way, Make Subheadings in Table of Content in Word, move any heading into subheading, Heading 2, Heading 3, 4 or 5. Ten Update Table to see the changes.
if the Table is not updating or Apply changes with some error. then I recommend creating another copy of the document file, then delete the Table of contents from the word, and Re-create the new Table of contents. and the reasons behind not updating the table are formate is not valid or your Microsoft office version is not supporting to make changes.
Add Appendix to table of contents in Word
Appendix automatically applies in Table of Contents in Word. to make changes like this,
- Give Numbering to Headings.
- and Use Increase Indent to apply appendix to other subheadings or Use Decrease Indent to remove from heading and Change numbering format as well.
Once you apply Numbering to All Headings in a document, Update the Table of Content in a Word file. By selecting Table and Click on Arrow > Update Table.
Update Entire table and Ok. to apply changes on the Table.
Change Table of Contents Design in Word
Create your Custom Design and Style on Table of Contents in Word. Directly apply these changes in the word document from the design tab.
- Select Table and Go into Design section. then, Select the Pre-ready design, Apply new color from the Colour option, and Apply Different font styles Under the fonts option.
- Also see more options for paragraph spacing, page color, page border, and more…
Delete Table of Contents in Word
In Such Cases, users have to Remove the Table of Content in Microsoft Word. Don’t worry, Removing TOC from Word fille will not delete Data such as Headings or more. This action will remove the Table from the file only. If you are not sure, then keep a backup of the file before applying changes to a large file.
- Select Table of Content from Word file.
- and, Click on the Down arrow, for options, Select Remove Table of Contents.
- That’s it.
Video Tutorial: Creating a Table of Contents
Share your comment below, if you are looking for more help! Also, Share with your friends to help others.