Last Updated on May 16, 2022
A NAS or Network Attached Storage device allows multiple individuals to store and share files in a centralized location with quick data access. Synology, one of the most popular NAS brands, offers NAS devices for home and commercial use.
Keeping a backup of your Synology NAS to an external hard drive is essential for the security of your data. So let us see the two best freeways for backing up the Synology NAS to any external USB hard drive.
Why is Backup of Synology NAS to an External Hard Disk Essential?
Following are a few points why there’s a need to backup our Synology NAS to an external hard disk drive:
- Accidental Data Deletion: You can make a minor error, and your data will be lost. The absence of a backup will exacerbate the problem.
- Hardware Damage: There is concern about wear and tear, mechanical damage, and artificial damage. On the other hand, everything is possible, and technological systems and gadgets have a finite lifespan. After that, you’ll never know the status of your data stored on them.
- Data Lose due to Fast Access: A NAS refers to a storage device that enables multiple users to record and save their data. Due to the network-based storage feature setup, the device can coordinate amongst multiple people. The benefit of this is that its fast, reliable and enables one to access data easily and quickly. However, when multiple hands access the same data, it is easy to lose it.
A user should keep two additional storage sources as any backup. For example, an external storage device and cloud storage may be ideal backup options.
Let us access the ways of backing up Synology NAS to any external hard drive.
Ways to Backup Synology NAS to an External Hard Drive
Using ‘DiskStation Manager’ Software
To back up data using the DiskStation Manager software, you will need the assistance of some tools. Use the Snapshot, the USB Copy, and can also use the Hyper Backup tools, among others.
The Hyper Backup Tool can demonstrate the process. These tools exist in the Package Center and you can access them after logging into the DiskManager Software. Install them.
- Step 1: After installing the tool, open it and click on the ‘+’sign. Then, go to the Data Backup task, the file Local folder and then the USB drive (single-version).
- Step 2: In the backup wizard, select your preferred backup location and any other advanced settings that may be required.
- Step 3: Once you click ‘Apply,’ the process begins and the entire files get back up at a new location in the NAS system.
You can transfer the files without difficulty. However, the DiskManager software is slow and requires you to change some advanced settings and select the appropriate backup destination. Easy the process with a third-party application.
Using Wondershare UBackit
If you intend to use a third-party application to back up your Synology NAS to an external hard drive, we recommend Wondershare Ubackit. The ‘File Migration’ process is very simple and takes little time. The application is simple even for a non-tech person.
It can transfer files in over 1000 different formats. In addition, you can create a backup, make a disc copy, back up an entire partition, and restore files that you have decided to remove or erase.
- Step 1: Check out the Wondershare Ubackit app and choose migration feature on the ‘sidebar.’ After that, choose ‘Backup’ and then connect the external hard drive.
- Step 2: There will a pop-up window flashing on the screen. Now, choose ‘Add Files’ and then select the files from the NAS system.
- Step 3: After uploading the files, recheck them and click the ‘Next’ button.
- Step 4: The data software will list out the external storage devices that are connected to the computer. Select the device that you want to collaborate with.
- Step 5: Begin the migration process and then wait for the UBackit software to transfer every file to the heavy external hard drive.
- Step 6: After you receive a confirmation message stating the completion of the process, immediately remove the external hard drive.
The above are easy steps and a safe method to keep a backup of the files. Stepping on from one to another will take hardly few minutes.
What to Do If You Lose Data During the Process?
Wondershare Ubackit can also help you recover files if you accidentally delete them during the backup process. It is also possible that certain files may be lost or fail to transfer completely. There will be an error message, or these files will be missing entirely. You can use the Wondershare Ubackit application’s restore backup files option.
You can fall back on another Wondershare application if that doesn’t work. Wondershare Recoverit specializes in recovering missing and corrupted files. The file’s quality and data isn’t compromised ad you can complete the transfer in three easy steps. Moreover, it supports 1000+ varied media formats.