Last Updated on Mar 28, 2022
While installing macOS Update via macOS Installer application, you may find a prompt error saying,” This copy of the Install macOS [version]-save.app application is damaged and can’t be used to install macOS.” Unfortunately, there’s no way to install and update macOS to the latest macOS update with this error message. Why is Mac showing the application is damaged, can’t it be used to install macOS 12.3? It happens when the certificate is expired to install macOS Update; however, there are several workarounds to fix this issue and install macOS Update.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Make sure your Mac is connected to a stable internet connection, and if you’re on MacBook, then keep it charged or plug it to charge for completing the process flawlessly without sticking anywhere.
Fix “application is damaged, can’t be used to install macOS” Error
Method 1: Delete and Reinstall macOS System Installers
The simplest way to eliminate the Error, “This copy of the Install macOS .app application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.” from the Mac while installing the new macOS Update is to remove the installer and reinstalling it as new. The new installer will come with a fresh certificate which is obviously not expired.
Visit the Apple Official Page to download the macOS Installer.
Download the macOS Installer from the“This copy of the Install macOS High Sierra.app application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.” page, and once it is downloaded, reboot the Mac.
The error message appears different for each macOS version, however, it is the same, but you’ll find a macOS Update name within the Error.
- “This copy of the Install macOS Monterey.app application is damaged and can’t be used to install macOS.”
- “This copy of the Install macOS Mojave.app application is damaged and can’t be used to install macOS.”
- “This copy of the Install macOS High Sierra.app application is damaged and can’t be used to install macOS.”
- “This copy of the Install macOS Sierra.app application is damaged and can’t be used to install macOS.”
Method 2: Modify Application Installer
Here we’ve asked you to delete one of the files that could make the macOS Installer work. This is the only second feasible solution that we see as of now; otherwise, simply contact Apple for more support.
- Open Finder in your Mac.
- Click on Applications in the sidebar.
- Now find the macOS Installer from the list of applications.
- Right-click on the macOS Installer.
- Select Show Package Contents.
- Select Contents folder.
- Find and click on SharedSupport.
- Delete the “InstallInfo.plist” file.
- You may be asked to enter the administrator password, enter it and confirm.
- After deleting that file, run the installer and see if that works.
- If this trick doesn’t work for you, then follow Method 1 and reinstall the application installer.
Delete and Re-Download/Install MacOS
Delete Partially Downloaded MacOS file from Applications folder on Mac finder. and Delete the file.
Then go back to System Preferences on Mac > Software update > Download the Latest copy of MacOS 12.3 [Monterey] on Mac and install.
If still not working then the issue with installing Apps or settings. So Try to Download and Install Software Update in safe mode.
Repair macOS Drive
Did you follow the above solution but are still stuck on same error This copy of the MacBook Pro Install macOS Monterey application is damaged? Try to attempt to repair your Mac Machine drive. Have no idea about how to diagnose mac Drive? Don’t bother, Let’s check my bottom step-by-step guide to fix it.
- Press Cmd + Space bar to open the Spotlight search Or use Launchpad
- Now type Disk Utility and click on it
- Next Select Disk Volume from sidebar menu on Disk Utility Pan [For more scroll the screen to see picture example]
- And click on First Aid appear on top second number option
- A pop-up will ask you Run First Aid on your Drive? go with Run
- Next Pop-up ask you final mode to run diagnose to repair drive. Click on Continue.
- Wait for the result. After Done, make sure your macOS install error gone or as it is.
- You should also attempt first ad process on all availbe Disk Volume appear on sidebar of the Disk utility.
That’s it. if any problem meanwhile the process? Let’s share in the comments to get more solutions.
Download and Install in Safe Mode
Safe mode on Mac check the Software issue on Mac startup and fix it automatically during Mac reboot in safe mode. So identify the Mac model M1 or Intel Mac and Get How to Put your Mac in Safe mode. Next, Download and Install latest macOS On your Mac.
Now, on next restart your Mac automatically exit from Safe mode.
Recovery Mode Reinstall
I recommend to take Time Machine backup for your Data safety.
Also, Comment me how this thread was found helpful to you, and Also share your suggestions in the comment box.