Apple’s Airdrop is a file transfer feature on All Apple devices that we can use all Devices for free without Apple ID verification. That means we can transfer or use airdrop with friends or unknown iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac. In iOS, I faced problem airdrop not working After update iOS and MacOS on my iPhone and Mac mini. I found the fantastic solution this time that worked for me and also shared other fixes and tips that are useful all the time.
Without Airdrop, File transfer or move into other devices is a tedious task for all Apple Users. We need to fix anyway.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
The latest iOS/iPadOS improved for WiFi performance, And WiFi is the critical role in Airdrop connectivity between Apple Devices.
Fixes for iOS/iPadOS Airdrop not working on iPad, iPhone: Consider to fix Airdrop Problems: After Update
Note: Check for Latest Update on (iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6S/6S Plus, iPhone 5S). Settings app > General > Software Update > Download and Install the latest Software Update.
1st: Airdrop is On But Bluetooth/WiFi Off: Turn on WiFi & Bluetooth
WiFi and Bluetooth must be turned on Both the Apple Devices that maybe your iPhone, iPad or Mac.
Airdrop bug is When we turn on Airdrop from the control center “Network Card“. It’s showing turn on but doesn’t enable bluetooth automatically. Sometimes internal software bug unable to activate correctly, So Don’t be tricky, Manually Enable from settings app on iPhone/iPad.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Next, Scroll and Tap on Bluetooth.
- Now, Enable the Bluetooth toggle. Same way turn on WiFi.
- For On Mac,
- Go to the Apple Logo on Mac > System Preferences > Bluetooth > Enable Bluetooth toggle.
- Go to the Apple Logo on Mac > System Preferences > WiFi > Enable WiFi toggle.
- Now we can Share File Over AirDrop between iPhone/iPad and Mac.
Note: Swipe down the finder on the top right corner of the iPhone X screen or newer Models.
- Swipe Down your finger from the top right corner of the screen to the Open Control center on the iPhone lock or home screen.
- Now, Touch and Hold on Network card, Tap on Bluetooth icon to enable it. And WiFi Also.
So double-check that Bluetooth and WiFi are enabled and showing on iPhone or iPad status menu.
Airdrop required Bluetooth and WiFi to turn on both the devices until file transfer complete.
2nd: AirDrop Greyed Out on iPhone/iPad
Unable to turn on Airdrop because the Airdrop icon in iOS 12 control center is Greyed out. Check the iOS restriction settings. AirDrop is included under the screen time, So we can restrict AirDrop on iPhone the prevent use, unlikely no one can send data from iOS/iPadOS to another apple Device without permission. Check this permission and make it correct to use on your iPhone/iPad. Especially in the case of AirDrop is missing or Grayed Out or unable to Turn on.
- Open Settings app on iPhone/iPad > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Settings.
- Enable the toggle, Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps > Enable AirDrop toggle.
- That’s it.
- Earlier iOS 11 Airdrop is under the Restriction option > Go to the Settings app on iPhone and iPad > Next, Tap on General > Press “Restrictions” options. Enter verification passcode if enabled > Enable Airdrop toggle.
Now, Check Airdrop soon clickable and Tap on it to turn on or off.
3rd: Airdrop Stuck on Receiving
Sometimes airdrop is behaving like a stuck incoming file or file due to some reason.
Restart or Force Restart Device once and Check again
Restart: To Restart, Press & Hold Sleep and Wake button until you see the slide to turn off slider.
iPhone XS Max, XS, XR, X, iPhone 8 Plus, 8 Plus:
- Press and Quickly Release Volume Up button,
- Press and Quickly Release Volume Down Button,
- Press and Hold Side Button until you see the Apple logo on Screen. Now Press and Hold on Sleep/Wake Power button only.
Press and hold the Sleep/ Wake + Home button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
To Start the iPhone, Again press Side button until the startup apple logo on the screen.
For iPhone 6S or Earlier: Sleep/Wake + Home button, until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
iPhone 7/ 7 Plus: Sleep/ Wake + Volume down button.
Start the device with a simple press Sleep/Wake button again.
4th: AirDrop use for Contacts Only or Everyone
Airdrop unable to find the device across or into another device. Also, check that you are using Airdrop on your machine or others.
If the Device is not yours then Enable Airdrop for Everyone
After tapping on Airdrop icon, you can find options for Receiving Off, Contacts Only and Everyone
On Mac: Launch Finder app, Tap on AirDrop from the right pane and Select AirDrop for everyone, See the image below,
5th: Airdrop not showing in after receives items, Where are the items Downloaded
For Mac: Default location for saving incoming airdrop file is Download folder.
For iOS: Receiving file will be open in Supported apps like Audio file in the Music app, Link in Safari and Other Documents in Files app or Pages/ Number.
6th: Check Pre-Requisition for Use AirDrop
Airdrop only Work on Compatible Devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac)
macOS Yosemite, EI Capitan, macOS High Sierra Supported MacBook Pro, Air, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro (See all device list in below)
7th: Both Devices sign in with Apple ID [Activeated Apple Device]
It’s not necessary iDevice login with the same Apple ID But make a sure sign incorrectly.
- 1. Go to the Settings app on iPhone, iPad
- 2. Tap on the profile name, Scroll down to the screen and Tap “Sign Out” at the last link button.
After that Sign in Again,
Fix 8: Unable to find or Scan iOS device on Mac
Block all incoming connections on Mac System Preference settings turn on, Disable it for allowing or join a new AirDrop connection with another iDevice.
- Go to the Apple Menu on Mac, Next Click on System Preferences.
- Next, Find Security & Privacy
- Make changes this setting by unlocking (Need Mac username and Password).
Uncheck “Block all incoming connections” and Save
Fix 9: Other Fixes and General Guide to AirDrop Problems
Keep Devices Within Range or Distance, Both Device is in range (30 Feet) ~ 9 meters. Distance Between devices should be!
Personal Hotspot turns off for iOS 7 or later. Go to the Settings > Cellular or Mobile > Personal Hotspot (Disable Personal Hotspot).
Premium Support is Free Now
Don’t miss to share which tricks work for you in the comment box, from the above listed and other helpful suggestion about Airdrop not working in iOS on iPhone, iPad.