macOS Mojave (10.14) is the latest operating system which is now available for all Public users, and now it’s publicly available at the end of month sep. “Install MacOS Mojave from USB” or “Reinstall Mac OS Mojave without Disk.” This installation process removes internal OS Errors, Speed up Your Mac, Free Up storage from root folders and more. Some users are using clean install for resell old Mac or prepare your Mac like new.
Doesn’t matter what is available in macOS Mojave until you won’t download and install it in your Mac. Once you get an installation error, undoubtedly you will be out of the mood. Instead of risking installation, why should we download the macOS Mojave and perform a clean install on Mac?
[Also Helpful: Reinstall MacOS Mojave without Data Loss. This process can’t erase data, online install Fresh copy of MacOS Mojave.]
- Step 1: Benefits and Compatible Macs
- Step 2: Tricks to reinstall Mac apps after a clean install
- Step 3: Create Bootable Drive of MacOS Mojave
- Step 4: Install New Copy of Mac OS X Mojave using a USB drive.
Benefits of clean installs
There are a lot of advantages when you perform a clean install on your Mac. Like, all the glitches or strange behavior of your Mac because of faulty apps or driver upgrades will be fixed. A clean install can make your Mac more efficient and reliable and also you will get some free space out of junk files.
So before we start clean install should possess a USB thumb drive of 8GB or more. Take a backup of Mac using Time Machine if anything goes wrong you can restore data from the backup.
Check if your Mac or MacBook is compatible with macOS Mojave
The devices which are compatible with macOS Mojave are listed below. If you have one of the devices from the list then only try to install macOS Mojave on your Mac or MacBook.
- Mac Mini (late 2012 or new)
- iMac (late 2012 or new)
- iMac Pro (2017 or later)
- MacBook (2015 or later)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 or new, mid-2012 and mid-2010 with a metal capable graphics cards)
- MacBook Pro (mid-2012 or new)
- MacBook Air (mid-2012 or new)
To check whether your device is eligible for macOS Mojave to follow the steps,
- Step 1: Tap on “Apple” icon and open “About This Mac”.
- Step 2: Next, click on “Overview” panel and see the model and year of your Mac or MacBook.
Skip this if not interested, and Jump to Create Bootable Drive
- If in case anything goes wrong it is possible you might lose data or application. So it is advisable to make a note of what data will be transferred to the new macOS Mojave. Note can be also helpful in tracking the apps, in case you lost some of them.
- Take a screenshot of the “Application” folder. Press “Command + Shift+ 4” and then press Space to capture Finder tab. If you want to create a document containing a list of applications then yes you can do that also. Take a look. Step 1: Go to the “Application” folder. Step 2: Press “Command+A”, now all the apps will be selected in the Finder. Step 3: Next, press “Command+C”. Step 4: Launch “TextEdit”. Step 5: Create a new document with plain text format and then paste it by “Command+V”. Step 6: Save the document in an external drive or any cloud storage.
NOTE: If your Mac contains any app which isn’t downloaded from Mac App Store than also make a note of serial number or anything which can be used as an identity.
Finally, de-authorize the services on Mac or MacBook including iTunes ID.
- Step 1: Launch “iTunes” and select “Account.”
- Step 2: Open “Authorization” and from their de-authorize the account of iTunes.
Create Bootable Installer
Full Guide: Create Bootable MacOS Mojave USB install Drive. If you have, Skip this step and jump to next step.
Download .Dmg setup file of MacOS Mojave from App Store and use it to make a bootable drive. Apple Store > Search MacOS Mojave > Get or Download.
Step 1: Erase the thumb drive by visiting the “Disk Utility” folder.
Step 2: Rename the thumb drive “UNTITLED.”
Step 3: You should select the format of the thumb drive as “OS X Extended Journaled” and “Erase” the drive.
Step 4: Download the “macOS Mojave” on the USB drive.
Step 5: Directly search from the “Spotlight” and open “Terminal”.
Step 6: Enter the following code into the terminal,
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Untitled –applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app
Step 7: Hit Enter.
Step 8: Enter the required “Administrator Password.”
Step 9: Leave it for a few minutes, and your bootable installer will be ready.
Reboot and Clean Install of MacOS Mojave on Mac, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air
Now you have bootable USB drive ready, connect to Mac.
Restart the mac and press and hold “Option” key from your Keyboard, when Mac makes rebooting sound or haptic feedback.
1: See the “MacOS Mojave Installer Drive” screen,
2. Click on “Install macOS Mojave” from the list.
3. Now, you are on macOS utilities screen. Select “Disk Utility” and Click on “Continue.”
4. Erase Drive that installed previous or Corrupted MacOS for Clean install.
Select Drive from the Right pane, Tap on Erase from Top tabs.
Choose APFS Formate File system (Available this formate only on SSD Equipped Mac) or Extended Journaled.
Once you complete, Tap on “Done.”
After Process completed, you can see Drive is Erased and free space to install new MacOS. Now “Close window,” To see back on Disk Utilities window.
5. From the Disk Utilities window, Click on “Install MacOS.”
Click to continue to start the installation of macOS Mojave.
In the process of installation, Select your “Erased Drive (Macintosh HD)” and “Install.”
Your Welcome screen jumps to dark mode.
Method 2: if you have Time machine Backup that can choose “Restore from Time machine Backup,” this option will copy your all old data after a clean install.
Now restore your data and files from Time Machine backup or also you can restore manually and arrange them the way you like.
Don’t miss to like and share my article for Clean install MacOS Mojave on Mac (With Picture guide).