Last Updated on Nov 12, 2020
If you are running out of storage on your Mac or MacBook Pro/ Macbook Air, then you must look at the “Other” category which eats the notable amount of storage of your MacBook. There is the number of files of different formats is occupying the space. The thing is we can’t delete at once because of the important files are also there in the “Other” storage. So to clean up “Other”, you need to dig up this category and delete the unused files.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Even we have mentioned the methods to remove junk files from the Mac, without harming your Mac heath and data loss. First of all, we will check the “Other” storage on Mac. Here’s how to get rid of other storage on MacBook Pro.
How do I clean up the Other on Mac running macOS Catalina & Earlier?
How to Check the Other Storage on Mac
- Step #1: Click on “Finder”.
- Step #2: Next, Click on Apple Logo () From Top Mac Menu. open “About This Mac”.
- Step #3: Click on “Storage”.
Now you can bifurcate how much storage is consumed by Apps, Videos, Audio, Documents, and others. When you move the cursor on the colors, then you will see how much storage is used by the particular category.
Now let’s see what is other on your Mac storage
What is Other on Mac Storage?
“Other” takes a lot of space on the Mac, which is probably consumed by junk files, caches, supportive files, and much more. But we can’t say “Other” is total crap, there are few files which do not fit in the mentioned category are placed in the “Other” category by the system, so clearing directly is a little bit risky.
Examples of “Other” Files on Mac
- Documents of the formats such as.PDF, .PSD, and more.
- Screensavers, iCloud files, Application supportive files, etc.
- Cache files of the system as well as the browser.
- App extensions, app plugins, Fonts, and so on.
- Personal data.
- Archives files such as zips, iso, tar, etc.
- Temporary files created by the System.
- File formats that are not acknowledged by the Spotlight.
So, after reading the entire list of “Other” files, you don’t want to delete the Other category totally. Instead, we will delete some unused files step by step and free up some space of Mac.
Use Optimize Storage on your Mac or MacBook
All the Mac’s with the latest version contains this feature Optimize Storage. Optimize Storage gives your Mac an ability to remove the unused and old files, and from the Mac, it will transfer to iCloud.
Let’s head over to how to optimize storage on Mac and how to delete other storage on Mac Big Sur or earlier.
- Step #1: Click on the “Apple” menu and open “System Preferences”.
- Step #2: Select “About This Mac”.
- Step #3: Click on “Storage” and then select “Manage”.
- Step #4: Next, you will see the list of a few settings, read carefully, and tap on “Optimise” next to “Optimize Storage”.
How to remove cache files on Mac to get Precious Storage Space
- Step #1: Click “Finder” and select “Go”.
- Step #2: Click on “Go to Folder”.
- Step #3: Type the command,
- Step #4: Tap “Go”.
- Step #5: Go to folders and select all the files and “Move to Trash”.
How to Delete Old Apple Device Backup from Your Mac Disk Space
macOS Catalina or later macOS Version user can use finder inplace of iTunes for manage Apple Device Backup.
- Open Finder on Mac.
- Connect your Apple Device to your Mac using the Lightning cable.
- Your Apple Device will appear on the sidebar app Finder window. Click on the iOS device and Go to the Device Summary page.
- Click Manage Backup Button and See all backup, Select Backup file and Delete Backup.
- That’s it.
- Step #1: Open “iTunes”.
- Step #2: Click on the “iTunes” menu on the top and then open “Preferences”.
- Step #3: Select “Devices”.
- Step #4: Next, choose the backup file which you want to delete and tap “Delete Backup”.
How to Remove Downloaded Files From The Mac (Installation Files, Documents)
It is pretty straightforward to determine which files are of use from the Download folder. Here’s how to remove files from the Download folder. Also, move to next section where you’ll get to know how to remove documents and installation files from Mac.
By default, all the downloaded files are stored in the Downloads folder. App Installation files that you might have downloaded earlier, but deleted the app from the Mac, in such cases those .pkg and .dmg files are useless, deleting them will free Other Storage on MacBook Pro.
- Step #1: Open “Finder” and select “Go”.
- Step #2: Click on “Downloads”.
- Step #3: Select the files or folders which you want to delete from downloads and right-click on them to “Move to Trash”.
Remove Documents to Clear Other Storage on Mac Big Sur or other macOS
Media-rich documents consume the storage in MBs, which includes the .csv, .doc, .pages, etc. Filter them from Mac and delete it if not needed. Learn how to delete other storage on Mac Big Sur or later.
- Go to the Desktop of Mac.
- Then, press the Command+F.
- Select This Mac.
- Click the first dropdown menu.
- Choose Other.
- Now all the files should be listed on the main screen, review their size, and delete one by one.
You should also keep your iOS device other storage using Clean up Other storage on iPhone and iPad guide.