Last Updated on Jun 9, 2022
Due to your mac was unable to communicate with your apple watch, Apple Watch is Failing to unlock Mac automatically. or Getting the error “Mac unable to communicate with Apple Watch” when setup from Mac. or Suddenly, Unlock with Apple Watch not working after updating MacOS on Mac. Apple’s new concept to unlock MacBook with Apple Watch is greatly appreciated by Apple fans, but every new feature has its own issues which can be easily fixed by referring to a few troubleshooting techniques. If you are a business professional or collegian, and always carry the MacBook and Apple Watch with you, then you must set up Auto Unlock MacBook Using Apple Watch if you haven’t already.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
But to use this feature there are certain requirements to be followed, and if they aren’t fulfilled then MacBook won’t unlock using Apple Watch on MacOS Monterey/Catalina, Mojave or earlier versions.
Fix MacBook Won’t Unlock With Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch Must have Passcode Enabled.
- Enable Two-Step Verification on MacBook:
- For macOS Ventura: Click on () From top Apple Menu > System Settings > Your Profile name > Password & Security > Turn on Two Factor Authentication.
- For macOS Monterey or Earlier: Click on () From top Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > Password & Security > Turn on Two Factor Authentication.
- For macOS Catalina: Click on () From top Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > Password & Security > Turn On Two-Factor Authentication.
- And lastly, 2-Step Verification should be turned Off.
If all of the above conditions are satisfied but still can’t auto-unlock MacBook with Apple Watch, then continue to read the article.
System Requirements to Use Auto Unlock on Mac with Apple Watch:
- Not all the Apple Watch and watchOS support this auto-unlock on Mac. The Apple Watch should be running on watchOS 3 or later version and Mac updated with macOS Sierra or later.
- To Approve the administrator password request on the auto-unlock feature, you’ll need watchOS 6 and macOS Catalina.
Quick Tip: Unlock Apple Watch to Unlock Mac with Apple Watch
Since you are using Apple Watch to unlock the MacBook, first of all, unlock the Apple Watch and then move your wrist up, like we used to do to check the time, the auto-unlock function will unlock the Mac.
On MacOS 13 Ventura:
- Go to the Apple Logo > System Settings > Touch ID & Password > Enable toggle “Use Apple Watch to unlock your apps and your Mac.” Your mac will ask you to enter your Mac login password. also, ask if the apple ID re-verification pending under the Apple ID suggestions.
On macOS Monterey & Earlier:
- Go to the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac.
Tip 1: Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Must be Turned ON on Mac
To unlock Mac or MacBook using Apple Watch, you’ll need to enable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on Mac. In case, disabling and enabling the “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac” on MacBook, the system will ask you to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and after that, you can use the auto-unlock feature on Mac.
- Click on () From top Apple Menu.
- Go to System Preferences.
- Then choose Security & Privacy.
- Click on the General tab and then check the box “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac”.
- If the pop-up asks you to Turn On Wi-Fi & Bluetooth, click to enable them.
For Error: Your Mac unable to communicate with your Apple Watch
In this case, make sure, you have to check your iPhone must be unlocked which selecting the checkbox tick “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac”, Under Mac Preferences settings. Also checkout the below points,
- Your Apple Watch is on write and Must be unlocked
- Your iPhone must be unlocked
Sometimes we need to re-setup your apple Watch for Unlock with Apple Watch on Mac. or After Upgrade to MacOS. Several mac users facing issues with the error “Your Mac unable to communicate with your Apple Watch” while turning on from Mac in macOS Monterey.
Tip 2: Bluetooth Should Be Enabled on Apple Watch
Just like, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth need to be enabled on MacBook, both of them should be enabled on Apple Watch too, or at least make sure to turn on Bluetooth on Apple Watch. To establish a connection between Apple Watch and Mac, the Bluetooth is to be turned on.
If Apple Watch isn’t connected, it will show RED symbol just like this.
- Press the Digital Crown to bring the Apps on the screen.
- Find and go to Settings of your Apple Watch.
- Scroll down and tap Bluetooth.
- Lastly, Turn on Bluetooth to Green.
Tip 3: Both, Apple Watch and Mac must be logged in with Same Apple ID
This is a very silly mistake people often make when they bring a new Apple Watch or switch to a new MacBook. Always use the same Apple ID across iPhone, Apple Watch and Mac to get the most out of the Apple devices. Similarly, if you want to use auto-unlock, but unlock Mac with Apple Watch no longer working, then make sure to verify the Apple ID on Apple Watch as well as on Mac.
- For macOS Ventura: Apple Logo > System Settings > profile name > see Your Apple ID.
- For macOS Mojave or Earlier: Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Account Details > Security.
- For macOS Catalina: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > Password & Security. Check the Apple ID as shown in the following screen.
Or you could directly check the devices that are currently signed in with the Apple ID right on the iPhone. Go to the Settings app > Tap on your profile name > Scroll down, all the devices are listed including Apple Watch and Mac that are using the same Apple ID.
Tip 4: Apple Watch & Mac Should Be In The Range
Since the auto-lock function requires Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to be enabled, we’ve assumed that if unlock Mac Mojave stopped working with Apple Watch or Apple Watch won’t unlock MacBook Pro, the distance between Apple Watch and Mac to be considered. Make sure both Apple Watch and Mac are in range and then try to unlock Mac with the Apple Watch.
Fix: Unlock with Apple Watch not working after updating MacOS to Monterey
Hope you check the above requirement to use your apple watch to unlock Mac automatically, and all is correct in a way. But still, are you getting problems on Unlock mac with Apple watch, This might be a bug, so keep your All the apple devices updated with the latest iOS, MacOS, and WatchOS. Or Something stuck because of a software issue that we can’t fix with Hard Reboot or Restart devices.
So, in this case, unpair the Apple Watch from iPhone then Pair it again with your iPhone, That found a helpful solution for this problem.
- Open Watch App on iPhone > Go to All Watches Option at top left corner of the app.
- Tap on (i) button next to apple watch Name that’s paired with your iPhone.
- Last Option is “Unpair Apple Watch” > Unpair Name’s Apple Watch.
- Enter apple ID password to verift and Remove it from your Account and Disable Activation lock as well > Unpair from top Right corner.
- That’s it. Wait for Apple watch unpair complate. Now, pair it again.
- Now, Keep your Apple watch Near to Phone and Scan apple watch face using Watch App on iPhone. and Follow the on-screen instructions to complate setup and pair it again.
- In this case, your iPhone will ask to retore old Backup that saved on your iPhone while Unpair the apple watch earlier.
- That’s easy method to fix the software issue on apple watch.
Hope this will helpful to you for “Unlock with Apple Watch not working with Mac”.