in this article, I’m guiding you that Why is my finder not working? Let’s see here resolving the finder problem on mac like a Pro guide. It is very irritable when the major functions stop responding as Finer quit unexpectedly and create a different kind of troubles for us. Some of the users recently reported that the finder is not working after updating to macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, finder keeps crashing randomly, finder search not working and much more.
Luckily, there are very simple steps which can fix the finder not responding issue quickly and reliably. We have listed the workarounds as per your problems of the finder. So that you can sincerely follow the steps and don’t end up in a bad situation.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Fix Apple Mac Finder quit unexpectedly, Finder repeatedly crashing and Finder Search not working
Condition 1: Finder is slow but working, Suddenly Stopped After Not Responding
Solution #1: Check Mac Storage
How do I fix finder quit unexpectedly? Follow The storage requirement of Mac is at least 20% if you really want to enjoy it. Otherwise, you will have to face every day a new issue. So before making space on Mac, you must check out the storage.
- Step #1: Click on the “Apple” logo.
- Step #2: Now, click on “About This Mac”.
- Step #3: There you will find “Storage”, which is indicated by different colors.
So if you are out of storage in Mac then go for optimizing the storage.
- Step #4: Click on “Manage” and then select any of the options, which are suitable for you.
Solution #2: Spotlight is indexing
- Frequently it happens when you are transferring huge files to the Mac after restoring the Mac or updating to the latest version.
- For a while, your Mac will be messed up, and so Spotlight will take some time to index every single file. The question is how do you know Spotlight is indexing files?
→ So here solution is Wait for more time until the complete index. in more, you should cancel or Kill the Finder on a Mac.
Solution #3: Problematic Finder Preferences Files
We don’t know sometimes the preference files are the real culprits that create chaos while using MacBook and it directly affects the finder. The simplest way to fix the finder not responding to macOS is to delete those files.
- Step #1: Open the “Spotlight”.
- Step #2: Now enter the code directly,
Next, open Preferences and then find and delete the com.apple.finder.plist File.
- [Backup this file on the desktop folder at first]
- Also, Empty the bin/Trash folder. before restarting your Mac.
- Step #3: Close everything and Reboot Mac. after rebooting your Mac, Your Apple Mac File system will create a new finder plist file. and fix the problem.
- in case, your Mac persists the same problem then go to the next workaround will help you to fight an issue Finder is not responding.
Solution #4: Finder is Totally Unresponsive [Unable to Find above File]
When Finder does not respond in any way, then there is a simple solution for this. We will clear the clutter right from the terminal and fix the finder not responding to macOS Catalina.
- Step #1: Launch “Terminal” from the Spotlight.
- Step #2: Now, write the command,
- Step #3: Hit Enter. You will see the highlighted file. Delete it.
Step #4: Lastly Restart the Mac or MacBook.
Still suffering Finder not responding issues then you should try force quit Finder [Press Command+Option +Escape].
Solution #5: Reset SMC of Mac
By doing this, power, battery and few other hardware features reset.
MacBook with Non-removable battery
- Turn off your Mac.
- Now, power on the Mac, while holding Shift+Control+Option(Alt) plus hold the power button for 10 seconds.
- Leave all the keys after 10 seconds and then press the power button to start Mac.
MacBook with Removable battery
- Shut down Mac.
- Take out the battery from MacBook.
- Press the power button for 5s.
- Put back the battery in its chamber.
- Turn on Mac, by pressing the power button.
- Power off the Mac.
- Remove the power cord from the socket.
- After 15 seconds, plug the power cord.
- Again wait for 5 seconds and turn on the Mac.
Solution #6: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on Mac
You can reset the following features by resetting NVRAM and PRAM, Sound Volume, Startup-disk selection, time zone, display resolution, and recent kernel panic information.
- Power off your Mac.
- Press the power button to turn on, and immediately hold down the Option+Command+P+R keys for 20 seconds.
Solution #7: Restart Mac in Safe Mode
- Shut down your Mac.
- Press the Power button to turn on Mac and then spontaneously hold down the Shift key.
- When Safe Boot appears in the upper-right side, release the shift key.
- Access the Mac by entering a password.
Solution #8: Create and Use New Admin account on the Same Mac
Solution 4 [Reinstall macOS is the best way to repair big issues like that, do this if you don’t have time to reinstall macOS], Creat a new Admin profile on the same Mac under the system Preference. follow the below steps.
Premium Support is Free Now
- Go to the Apple logo on Mac > System Preferences >Users & Group. Click on the lock icon and Enter your Mac password to make changes under Mac privacy.
- Now, click on the plus icon to add another profile, Select Administrator from Account dropdown option.
- Enter Full name, Account name, Enter new Password & Verify new Password.
- Finally, click on Create user. Your Mac will take time to create a new file system for another login. Now you can switch between the Admin account after restart your Mac.
- Also, in Future time you can select your account every time when you open Mac.
Solution #9: Repair your Mac Disk with Given Simple Steps to Fix Finder issues on Mac Catalina
- Step #1: Restart your Apple Macbook Pro or MBA or iMac.
- Step #2: Now open up Disk Utility which is located in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
- Step #3: on the screen, select the disk on the left side.
- Step #4: Now Choose the tab “First Aid” and click on Run
- Step #5: Click on the option “Repair disk permissions”.
- Step #6: Restart your Apple Mac once that is done.
and Finally, check out that your Macbook Run normally. let me know in the comments and unluckily this answer will work out. Then follow the last solution that is re-install macOS.
Solution #10: Reinstall macOS Without Data lost
Reinstall macOS on Mac is a very healthy process to repair any MacOS version. reinstallation will not erase the Mac Data, this process only installs the latest version of macOS and replace the old file system that might be currepted and buggy after too many years of use. Most of the Mac users have been installed the third-party buggy apps. Now those apps are incompatible with the latest file system and Mac kernel.
- Restart your Mac (Go to the Apple logo on Mac > Restart).
- After the Mac Startup sound, Quickly press and hold the Command + R key from your Mac Keyboard. Until your Mac Screen sees the macOS utility window.
- The second option is Reinstall macOS. just go with this option. follow the on-screen instruction, And the process will take time depends on your internet connection speed. Because your Mac will download the latest version of macOS from the apple server and install it after download complete.
Set up your Mac and Check it should be fixed.