Getting the new update and installing it on Mac is quite simple, whenever any update will be available for your Mac or MacBook, it will notify you. Moreover, if you have enabled auto-update, it will update directly without asking your permission. But sometimes we face difficulties when macOS won’t download and install on Mac or MacBook.
Even my MacBook got stuck and freeze in the middle of a software update. There are many reasons behind can’t download the macOS update. But we will sort it out, and I have listed the best fixes for this error.
Don’t wait anymore, See Why My MacOS Sonoma Download Stuck – Waiting..or Stop before the installation process starts.
Troubleshooting steps MacOS Sonoma Won’t download and Install on Mac/MacBook Pro & Air
Tip 1: Make sure there is enough storage available
Required At least 15 Gbs of free space
macOS updates are very large, and it requires enough room to fit in your MacBook or Mac. So let’s check the storage of your Mac or MacBook.
Step 1: Go to “Apple Menu” and open “About This Mac”.
Step 2: Tap “Storage” and see if adequate storage is available or not, if available then restart the download MacOS update. if not that quickly make space up to 15 Gbs under the Manage option.
Tip 2: Apple Server Status
Before hammering our head by trial and error methods to fix the macOS won’t download on Mac, we should check if Apple servers are working or not. It is also possible that the update server is under maintenance if it is then we are helpless. We can just wait in such a situation.
- Go Live Status of Apple Server
- If you are in Outside USA Region then Here’s To check Apple Server status in any Region.
🗣Highly Recommend downloading new MacOS on your Own Home or Personal WIFI. Because Public WiFi or Company WiFi doesn’t allow Download Software update because of Blocked Apple’s Network Port.
Tip 3: Log out & Login app store
On your Mac, Update Apple ID Settings needed for Some account services require you to
sign in again. That’s the big reason why you are not getting new MacOS software Download and Update.
Sometimes pending Apple ID verification doesn’t allow users to make changes because it looks like unauthorized access. Follow the below steps to verify your Mac for Software Download and Install.
- Open App Store on Mac.
- Click on Store Menu from the top Bar.
- And Sign Out. Once you sign out then Sign in again with the same Apple ID.
- That’s it.
Tip 4: Switch the Wi-Fi connection or move it to a wired connection
A wired connection is always far better than a wireless connection. If internet speed is the obstacle for your MacBook, then it might get solved if you switch the wireless connection to a wired connection or change the network.
Tip 5: MacOS Sonoma Downloaded but Won’t Install
Cancel Download and Put Mac or MacBook to download again
It is one of the best solutions when you are updating the software, and the MacOS software update gets automatically stopped in the middle. At that time you can try to cancel the download and re-download the MacBook software update. Hopefully, this might work for you.
- You can find out Corrupted macOS Software on your Mac’s Applications folder. and Delete that file.
- Re-download from the Software Update option. Go to the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Software Update > Download and install.
Tip 6: Download the Software update from Apple’s Support Website
None of the above methods works for you then you should download the update from Apple’s Support page instead of the Mac App Store and then install it on your mac. Every single update is available there only you have to search for it and then click on that update within minutes it will be on your device. Mac Support Center is here. Also, you can find it from the Mac app store. Open App Store > Search with MacOS name. Now, Download and install on your mac.
Tip 7: Try after Safe Mode Restart
Safe mode on Mac determines the software issue on Mac because of installed apps running on Mac on startup in Backgroud. Follow the below steps to put your Mac start in Safe mode and fix the issue automatically.
For M1 Mac:-
- Turn on your Mac. Wait for 10 seconds. Now, Press and Hold the Power button on M1 Mac until your Mac screen show Black scren then startup volumes.
- Now, Select Startup volume. You will see option, Press shift key and Select Continue in Safe mode option.
- Click on it. and Login your Mac when ask.
- Restart your Mac. Now, Press and Hold the Shift key from keyboard untill you see the login screen. and your Mac screen appear Safe mode label at top right corner of the screen. check the issue is fixed after put your Mac in recovery mode.
If yes, then Exit from Safe mode, By Restart your Mac only.
Turning on Mac in safe mode will take some time Because your Mac checks the internet issue and fix on safe mode booting process.
Tip 8: Install macOS in Recovery mode
want to install a new copy of MacOS on your Mac without erasing data. this is the right way to repair macOS, Follow the below steps, First put your Mac in Recovery mode as per Processor, M1, or Intel Mac. Also, make sure your Internet is working fine. Becuase your Mac download the Latest compatible macOS copy to Mac and install on your Targeted Primary drive partition if any.
For M1 Mac:-
- Shut Down your Mac, Turn on After 10 seconds. And Press and Hold on Power button until your see the Stratup Volumes and Options.
- Next, Click on Options and See the option for Reinstall MacOS.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, and Complate the installation of new Latest macOS on your Mac.
For Intel Mac:-
- Shut Down your Mac, And Turn on After 10 seconds. Now, Press and Hold Command + R Key from Keyboard. until you see the MacOS Utility screen on Mac.
- See Option “Reinstall MacOS“. and Click on Continue button. and Follow the on-screen instructions to install on your selected drive.
- That’s it.
- Rinstall MacOS in Recovery mode without touch data.
Tip 9: Basic Hint to Fix macOS 12 Won’t install after Downloaded macOS installer
- Fix 1 – Reset PRAM/ NVRAM and SMC [M1 Mac users have to Restart Mac only]
- Fix 2– Reboot Your Mac
- Fix 3– Clean install macOS Sonoma then try again
- Fix 4– boot from external disk [Safe Mode boot]
- Fix -5 Turn Off turn of FileVault or Firewall – Apple logo From top mac menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Unlock Window and Turn off Firewall.
- Fix 6– Restored the firmware on the Apple T2 Security Chip
- Fix 7– Command terminal
Open Terminal. Copy and Paste and enter:
sudo nvram IASUCatalogURL=https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.16seed-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
You may need to enter 2 time if you got the error.
After that, rerun the installer –> It worked.
After done upgrading, you should update the nvram back:
sudo nvram -d IASUCatalogURL
- Fix 8– with boot USB for a clean installation
- Fix 9– Disabling the Gatekeeper on Apple Mac, that helped me
- Fix 10 – Install macOS 12 via App Store. After I tried (and failed) to install it from App Store, I found that I have a new Application:
/Applications/Install macOS 12
I right-clicked that, clicked “Show Package Contents”, and navigated to Contents -> MacOS and I double-clicked InstallAssistant.
I was able to install it from there
- Fix 11– Possible error due to BridgeOS udpate issue
- Fix 12- Turn off VPN if enabled. here’s How to Disable VPN or Remove VPN Completely from Mac.
To resolve the issue, I suggest you creating a new partition and re-install Big Sur, So Wipe the entire hard drive and make a clean install of Big Sur (macOS 11).
installing from a boot disk, installing in recovery mode, safe mode, internet recovery mode.
Last Solution- Wait for few days and try Trying the public beta profile downloads on your Mac
Above all is the possible fix and troubleshooting steps for MacOS 14 Won’t download and Install on Mac [Big update 2023 Mac OS Failed] for some reasons given above.