Error Bluetooth not available on macOS is a common problem, occurs during file transfer on MacBook Air or MacBook Pro or iMac. When any major update is released by Apple, there are high chances of such Bluetooth issues. All of sudden, Bluetooth keeps disconnecting on Mac, Bluetooth icon missing on Mac and many time Bluetooth is unavailable on Mac. In such situations, you cannot use Bluetooth for file transfer.
In this troubleshooting, we will show you how to bring the missing Bluetooth icon on the Mac and also the alternate way to get back your Bluetooth icon on the status bar of Mac. For your convenience, we have also made a video tutorial to fix Bluetooth issues on macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave and earlier.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Fix Error Bluetooth not available on macOS Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra or earlier
- Keep the Bluetooth device or accessory close to Mac.
- Make sure the bluetooth device is charged enough.
- If Bluetooth Device isn’t showing on Mac, then make sure the same bluetooth device isn’t connected to another Mac or PC.
Solution 1: Remove Bluetooth Preference File
Since the Bluetooth not available on macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, the first step you should take is to remove the bluetooth preferences file. These files get corrupted after some time, so it is better if for you to remove the bluetooth preferences file from Mac and fix Bluetooth not working issue. Here’s how to do it,
- Step #1. Exit all System Preferences or app on your Mac as well that app which has to try to establish the Bluetooth connection between your Mac and another device.
- Step #2. Press, Command +Shift+ G in the Finder app
- Step #3. Finder will open the ‘’Go to the Folder’’, Now there type /Library/Preferences/.
- Step #4. Now, Search file ‘’com.apple.Bluetooth.plist’’ after found that delete all files and there are any other files related the same extension then also remove them.
- Step #5. Now, go back to the main screen of your Mac and Click on Apple Menu
- Step #6. Click on Shutdown option, and your Mac happened to restart after some time and after that again Sync your Bluetooth device.
It will open with New Bluetooth Configuration. So here, your Error should fix to connect Bluetooth device If your issue still not resolved then follow beneath given second way.
Solution 2: Reboot Your Mac SMC
Once you remove the bluetooth preferences file from the Mac, the very next thing should be done is to reboot the system. All the changes that you have made will be effective after refreshing the Mac. This is how you can reboot your Mac SMC.
You can reset Intel-based Mac’s SMC from Reset SMC (System Management Controller) source. You can get from this link how to reset MacBook Pro, Mac Book Air without batteries and with batteries as well iMac and other Mac.
Solution 3: Manually Search Device
Bluetooth device not appearing on macOS Catalina or any other macOS version, then make sure to search the bluetooth device manually. Turn Off and On the bluetooth to refresh the bluetooth system of Mac.
- Apple logo > System Preferences > Bluetooth.
Remove all the Device, Search manually from this window. if you find the device, then try to connect it.
Solution 4: Restart the Bluetooth Device or Accessories
Many times we were busy teasing the Mac and at last, finds that the real culprit is the Bluetooth accessory or device that we are trying to connect with Mac. So, let your Mac rest for a while and restart the bluetooth device/accessory that you are trying to connect with Mac. Alternatively, connect the Bluetooth device with any other Mac or PC to make sure it is working properly.
Solution 5: Check for System Update
Bluetooth device is working properly? Surely now there is a problem with your Mac System. Did you check for the updates on Mac? If not, then kindly do it. Updating macOS to the latest software version is the easiest way to get rid of connectivity issues on Mac. Here’s how to update macOS.
For macOS Catalina/Mojave,
- Apple logo > System Preferences > Software Update.
For earlier macOS versions,
- Go to App Store > Update tab.
Don’t miss out to leave your reply in the comment after getting perfect on Bluetooth not Available on Mac device.
Solution 6: Reset Bluetooth Module
If bluetooth keeps disconnecting on macOS Catalina, then reset bluetooth module on your Mac. This will remove all the connected bluetooth device such as Mouse, Keyboard, etc for once, later you have to reconnect them.
- Step #1: Go to the Terminal app.
- Step #2: Type, sudo pkill bluetoothd.
- Step #3: Hit return and enter the password.
If you see Bluetooth icon on the status bar, then you can follow these steps to reset the bluetooth module on Mac.
Premium Support is Free NowWe are happy to help you! Follow the next Step if Your Solution is not in this article, Submit this form without Sign Up, We will revert back to you via Personal Mail. In Form, Please Use the Description field to Mention our reference Webpage URL which you visited and Describe your problem in detail if possible. We covered your iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 8(Plus), iPhone 7(Plus), iPhone 6S(Plus), iPhone 6(Plus), iPhone SE, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPad All Generation, iPad Pro All Models, MacOS Catalina or Earlier MacOS for iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, WatchOS 6 & Earlier on Apple Watch 5/4/3/2/1, Apple TV. You can also mention iOS/iPadOS/MacOS.
- Step #1: Press Shift+Option keys on the keyboard and click on the “Bluetooth” icon on your Mac.
- Step #2: Hover the mouse on “Debug” and click on “Reset bluetooth module”.