New macOS Installation required to check internet connectivity and confirmations from Apple service. So you can easily install on supported mac. If the system is lagging or not responding to this check, your mac felt in trouble while you tried to install New MacOS Catalina. The Mac users are fortunate who got their Mac updates to catalina in the first attempt. Unlucky are those who end up in multiple error loops while updating to macOS catalina. If you are the hapless one, then sit tight and get ready for coming challenges to fix Mac stuck when installing macOS 10.15 Catalina update. Everything should be in order if you are considering to update macOS successfully and fast. Strong Internet Connection, Enough Storage, Good Power Supply, Hardware issues, and final but not least is Software problems. If any of these things go south, the macOS will show errors while updating to the latest version of it will get stuck like now.
However, sometimes the Apple account itself cause updating error on Mac. So make sure to check your Apple account before updating any Apple Device. Also, one more thing you should keep in mind to check the Apple Server is working correctly and not under maintenance. Generally, Apple show if any server goes down in your region check out this on the Apple Server page. Let’s fix Mac Stuck when installing Catalina 10.15 Update.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Pre-requisites That Lagging macOS Catalina installation
- Good Internet Connection: If possible connect Ethernet directly to the Mac, avoid Wi-Fi connectivity. Most of the Mac users experiencing issue with Slow down installation and Mac is waiting for the internet connection when it is disconnected. Haven’t any option to connect your Mac with Internet cable, then Switch to other wifi network or Reboot your Router to get permeant fix from your side. Otherwise you can ask to Internet service provide.
- Storage: Check the require storage before updating the Mac, you should required at least 10 Giga bytes of free space. Let’s use Apple Recommended optimize option under the Disk Utility. Open Apple Logo at top menu > About This Mac > Storage > Select Drive and Click on Manage.
- Power: If you are updating MacBook, then the battery level should be minimal 50%.
- Correct Apple Credentials: Make sure to enter correct Apple ID and Password when asked, otherwise Apple Server will deny your request.
- Disable Firewall: If you are using any Firewall or Antivirus, then disable it until the update gets finished.
Still, Mac stuck on update then follow the below troubleshooting tricks carefully.
Fix Mac won’t boot/start/turn on after macOS (10.15 Catalina) update
Solution 1: Reset NVRAM or PRAM ON Mac [Clear Cache of Mac RAM]
All Mac has a these two types of memories that can able to store information like TimeZone, Karnal Task, Display Resolution, Startup-Disk Selection when it’s shutdown and reuse while we turn on. Also we can refresh or reset all data from this memory only. call NVRAM Or PRAM. Apple is also suggestion to clear out this memory first if we having issues startup, installation or Crashing, Slow down.
First off all Shut down your Mac. we can long press on power button to force shutdown.
Now, Turn on Mac using Power button, after that quickly press and hold: Option + Command + P + R.
Press and Hold all the keys until you listen Startup sound second time. Lift up your Fingers, Now your Mac will turn on in fresh mood. Try again.
Solution 2: Restart Mac and download New MacOS Copy from App Store
For the first time if your Mac stuck when installing macOS Mojave 10.14 update, then probably it is just minor technical glitch. So we would suggest you restart the Mac as usual and then try to update. Here’s how to restart update Mac.
Step #1: Click on the “Apple” icon on the top-left screen.
Step #2: Select “Restart”.
Step #3: Confirm, Restart by clicking on it.
The Mac will take a few seconds to restart. Thereafter check out the below steps to update Mac.
Step #1: Go to the “App Store” on Mac.
Step #2: Find the macOS Catalina in search box.
Step #3: Click “Download”.
Step #4: If asked, enter Apple ID and Password.
Step #5: Now, read the on-screen instructions and update the macOS to Mojave 10.14.
Solution 3: Quit all the Background Apps
Multiple apps running in the background creates unusual load on the system and at last the Mac crashes and performance goes down. To check if this isn’t the real reason behind Mac stuck on installing Mojave update, close all the background apps.
Step #1: Press the Option + Command + Escape on your keyboard.
Step #2: Now, Force Quit Application will show you certain background apps.
Step #3: Force Quit them.
Solution 4: Restart your Internet Connection
As I had mentioned earlier to connect the Ethernet port directly to the Mac and do not use Wi-Fi while updating macOS. The reason is Wi-Fi connections are not stable as the update required and your Mac stuck with an update. To restart or refresh the internet connection, you should disconnect the Wi-Fi router or remove the Ethernet cable from the Mac. After 5-10 minutes reconnect the internet connection. Now retry to update macOS to Catalina 10.15. Another way to disconnect internet connection only for Mac is from the System Preferences. Here’s how to do it,
- Apple menu > System Preferences > Network. here’s the all settings for networks like Ethernet, WiFi. Configure your Network from here as of recommended by ISP.
Solution 5: Make sure Mac has enough Storage and Free Up if Want
Mac updates generally are in 5GBs or 7GBs size, so you have to make sure your Mac must have at least 10GB of free storage to install the update. From the mentioned path, check the remaining storage on your Mac. If possible delete some unused applications and files or move them to the iCloud.
- Apple menu > About This Mac.
- To free up space on Mac, Click on Storage tab option in the same windows.
- Now select drive that running your MacOS, Now Click on Manage. New Windows will show different optimisation options. Go with the options and get it done.
Not all time you will get problem with enough storage, but slow speed or stuck in update process can use this tip only. Still not help, follow the next solution for try Update macOS Catalina in Safe mode.
Solution 6: Update Mac in Safe Mode
Still, Mac Stuck when installing macOS Mojave 10.14 update, then try to put Mac into safe mode and update. In safe mode, Mac will disable all the third-party applications and only keep the system applications.
Step #1: Shut down the Mac by holding the Power button. Don’t release the Power button, until the Mac turns off.
Step #2: To turn on Mac in Safe Mode, Press and hold the shift key after pressing the power button.
Safe more disabled some MacOS functionality, In Safe mode Mac delete all kind of Cache files like, Kernel, System files, Fonts Cache.
How to identify Mac is in Safe mode?
First Way: On Mac Login screen will show safe mode water mark text at top right corner of the screen.
Second Way: Go to Apple Logo at top Mac menu > About This Mac > System Report.
Next to System Report, Scroll side bar and select software section, here’s Boot mode is Safe. that’s it.
Solution 7: Perform Clean Install: Erase Drive, Reinstall new macOS and Restore
You can fix all kind of Mac problem using this solution but sometimes Mac users are ignoring because this is long but easy process. Trust me I personally felt very good after perform this process. Right now my Mac is super fast on latest MacOS. I thin process is 10 times faster like new MacBook.
First Step: Backup Data on Mac Using Time Machine
First Take a Backup using Time Machine on Mac, if Data is important for you and want to restore after install new MacOS in step 3.
Premium Support is Free Now
- Go to Apple logo at top Mac menu.
- Next, Click on System Preferences.
- Now, Find Time Machine option and Go with it. On Time Machine windows select Drive [Use External Drive, G-Technology], otherwise clean install remove time machine data as well. Or We can also select local drive to save Backup file. Important: Don’t Erase This local Drive in Step 2.
- Enable Backup Automatically to Receive new Backup all time for External Drive.
- That’s it.
Second Step: Clean Install using macOS Utilities
- Restart Mac from top Mac menu.
- Press and Hold command + R key on keyboard after listen startup sound on Mac. Continuously press and hold keys until you see MacOS Utilities window on screen.
- Last Option is Disk Utility. Click on it and Select Macintosh drive and Erase in we are installing new MacOS. Now Use Erase option to successfully erase all data.
- Close Disk Utility window and now you are on MacOS Utilities window.
- Second options is Reinstall MacOS. Click on it. Also Turn on WiFi internet on Mac to download latest version of MacOS on Mac. Once Download complete.
- Installation process will start on the same screen. it will take time depends on internet speed. ideally download speed it too fast. within 20 minutes we can download 7 GBs of macOS Catalina File size from internet.
Third Step: Restore Mac Data from Time Machine Backup
- Copy all data back to on Mac from Time Machine latest backup that I explained in first step.
- Restart your Mac, Press and Hold command + R on startup screen.
- After that, On MacOS Utilities windows Select Restore Backup from Time Machine. and Select External Drive or Local Drive that is selected or saved on backup Time.
Above all are the helpful solutions that we discovered and mark as a helpful to all people. Share about which solution is worked for you.