Table of Contents Show
- Solved: How do you fix a Mac that Won’t Turn On?
- Common Solutions to Mac Won’t turn on After Update MacOS
- What to Do When Your Mac Won’t Start Up?
- Solution 1: Try to Remove the Power Cable and Hard Reboot
- Solution 2: Shake and Fix Loose Contacts of RAM, HARD DRIVE, Battery
- Solution 3: Reset PRAM/NVRAM Settings Using Keyboard Keys
- Solution 4: Check Power or Charger’s Cable
- Solution 5: Perform Power Cycle: How do I fix the black screen of death on my Mac?
- Solution 6: Restart Mac Safe Mode
- Solution 7: If You’re Mac is Stuck on a Black Screen after Booting
- Solution 8: Reset SMC on Apple Mac
- Solution 9: Reinstall in Recovery Mode
- Revive Your mac
- Solution 10: Apple Support
in this article, I have listed all the things on What to Do When Your Mac Won’t Start-Up. Your MacBook Won’t turn on means a Black screen on macOS 13, You can not see the Error Message on Screen that at that time we haven’t any idea what you should do first. So it’s a Very apprehension situation and I recommend to fix using the most helpful solutions at first. Generally, a black screen comes after MacOS Update So you are not alone and we can fix it. And Another case is the random black screen MacBook, iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air.
It is obvious to be afraid and panic if you are in this situation for the first time. This isn’t the end of your Mac, and it won’t start again on your own. There are some pretty good tricks available here when your Mac won’t boot/start you can do it on your own without spending a single buck. So let’s try to fix Mac won’t turn on.
This tutorial is also helpful for those Apple Mac users having issues that Mac won’t turn on but is charging; Mac won’t start at All, Mac not begins after sleep or after a Power outage. Lost of users also reporting mac won’t start on fan running or after restart/ after three beeps/ water spill/ after shutdown or on the loading bar.
This kind of failure arises when you have updated to macOS Ventura/Monterey/Big Sur, mac Catalina from macOS High Sierra, Mojave, but often people face such situations and try to fix them with some tricky solutions. Let’s head over to mac won’t turn on/boot after updating to Latest MacOS Update Version.
Solved: How do you fix a Mac that Won’t Turn On?
Common Solutions to Mac Won’t turn on After Update MacOS
#1: Charge your MacBook At least 1 Hour.
#2: Disconnect your Charger [Unplugg charging port], Put one finger on Trackpad center areas, and at the same time Press and hold the power button of the MacBook. Now Keep Pressing both for at least 30 to 60 seconds. I hope it will work and turning on the Macbook screen. that’s it. if still does not work follow the next point.
#3: Connect your Charger, And Press and Hold the power button for 60 seconds, Also keep in your mind that if your Mac’s charging port is not light up Green/Yellow light that means you need to replace the charger.
#4: This point fixes the hardware issues, if you don’t know and don’t need that this is for information only, Remove the bottom piece of the back body, Remove 10s screws and Take out the body. Now First you will see Green RAM [To identify do google Macbook Ram], Take it our One or Two RAM and put it back again after 30 seconds. Next is Problem with MacBook hard Drive, Remove MacBook Drive, and put it back in after 60 seconds. Still does not working.
Your MacBook has a problem with Battery or Motherboard.
What to Do When Your Mac Won’t Start Up?
- I presume that your Mac is already turned off, if not then shut it down.
- For M1 Mac: Press and Hold on Power button [Touch ID Button] Until your Mac see Loading startup options. Click on Options Gear icon. On MacOS Recovery Screen, Click on Next > Enter Password, Now From Top Mac menu > Utilities.
- For Intel Mac: Press the Command+R together and turn on the Mac, Until you see MacOS Recovery window.
- You’ll see Utilities window.
- Choose Utilities and then Terminal.
- Enter, ‘csrutil enable‘ and then try to restart the Mac.
Solution 1: Try to Remove the Power Cable and Hard Reboot
1: Remove or Disconnect the power cable that is used to charge your Macbook.
2: Press and hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds.
3: Again Take a power cable and Plugin.
4: Now Hold Down the Power button for 7 seconds. This will help to boot your Mac Laptop.
5: This technique works all Macbook Modle and years.
Solution 2: Shake and Fix Loose Contacts of RAM, HARD DRIVE, Battery
Why would my Mac not turn on? Don’t worry. Let’s clutch your laptop with both hands and Shake your MacBook and after that Try Again to turn on, One of Redditter finds out the solution and that amazingly works for many MacBook owners.
Solution 3: Reset PRAM/NVRAM Settings Using Keyboard Keys
M1 Silicon Chip Mac users can skip this step.
On your MacBook Keyboard, Press and Hold these keys at once:
Click on Shift + Control + Option + Power Button on MacBook.
After that only press the power button to turn on the MacBook Screen.
Solution 4: Check Power or Charger’s Cable
Carefully look at the power cable to see if it is not damaged or broken at some part. At the same time, also check the AC power socket is working correctly by connecting another device.
Alternatively, try to use a different power cable or adapter that is compatible with your Mac. These are the only ways to check the power cable.
Solution 5: Perform Power Cycle: How do I fix the black screen of death on my Mac?
There are some weird cases that occur in which Mac’s green light is glowing perfectly, and on the other side, the Mac won’t turn on. You must try to perform a power cycle and reboot the Mac in a particular mode. This involves some steps,
- Step #1: Remove the “Power cable.”
- Step #2: Press and hold the “Power” button for 10 seconds.
- Step #3: Keep pressing the power key and connect the power cable.
- Step #4: Hold ten more seconds.
- Step #5: Release the key and let the Mac usually start.
Solution 6: Restart Mac Safe Mode
Safe mode on Mac is a foolproof solution if your Mac won’t start or Mac crashes continuously. It limits some of the apps while startup and Mac feel little reliable and start without carrying much load at the startup. Safe mode process is different for M1 and Intel Mac.
Safe mode process determine the software issue on Startup your Mac. and Fix the issue automatically by disabling some functionality of your Mac, But know your Mac is M1 or Intel, and Checkout the below steps,
- Shut down your Mac and Wait for 20 seconds. Now, Press and Hold on Power Button [Touch ID Button], until you see the startup volume and Options screen.
- Now, Click on Startup Volume, and Press Shift Key from Keyboard and Click on “Continue in Safe mode“. Login your Mac, and Your Mac is in safe mode.
- That’s it.
Check your Mac is updated to latest software update. and Turn off your Mac to Exit from safe mode. Now your issue is fixed, still not then Try Reinstall macOS In recovery mode.
- On Intel Mac, Shut down your Mac. after wait for 20 seconds. Turn on your Mac, and Quickly Press and Hold on Shift key from keyboard and Wait for your Mac see the login screen.
- Login your Mac and You are in safe mode.
- That’s it.
Check your issue if fixed now, and Restart your Mac to Exit from safe mode.
Solution 7: If You’re Mac is Stuck on a Black Screen after Booting
It is the most reported issue on the forums that while starting up the display of Mac goes black. This happens because of low power, and that’s why you can’t see the bright part of the screen. However, if you put the display in the darkroom, you might see the dialogue box of login and password.
Besides, you can give a flash behind the display and try to locate the cursor on the dialogue box, and enter a password. The screen should generally start after entering the password.
Solution 8: Reset SMC on Apple Mac
System Management Controller plays an essential role in many functioning parts of Mac. Hurdles related to battery, display, and most specifically power key related can be easily fixed by resetting SMC.
- Step #1: Remove the “Power cable.”
- Step #2: Leave at least 15 seconds.
- Step #3: Re-plug the “Power cable.”
- Step #4: After 5 to 10 seconds, press “Power” again.
Solution 9: Reinstall in Recovery Mode
If you are facing these issues regularly, then try recovery mode. This Reinstallation of MacOS doesn’t erase any data from your Mac drive. Although I recommend to Take Time Machine Backup to follow the Risk-free process.
- Step #1: Restart the “Mac.”
- For M1 Mac: Press and Hold on Power button [Touch ID Button] Until your Mac sees Loading startup options. Click on the Options Gear icon. On MacOS Recovery Screen, Click on Next > Enter Password, > Select Reinstall macOS. – Reinstallation macOS In recovery mode, Never Harm your Mac data that’s saved on your Mac.
- For Intel Mac: When the Mac restarts press and holds “Command+R” keys when you hear reboot tone. Release the keys when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Step #3: Now you will see the macOS “Utilities” window.
None of the above solutions is working for you for this update and Bricked Mac.
Revive Your mac
Specially on the Intel-Based Mac with Apple T2 Security chip on mac for the below models,
- iMac (2020)
- Mac Pro (2019)
- Mac mini (2018)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
- MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
- MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019)
- MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
Check out this apple suggested guide to Boot your Mac in DFU mode after installing Apple Configurator on Second Mac and Restore data on First Mac. If you are not a tech Person then you can contact apple support from the given next solution.
Solution 10: Apple Support
NOTE: If you have mistaken something while pressing keys then the standard desktop will appear. You have to follow the steps again.
Get Free Help from Apple support: The first check your MacBook is under warranty or not. Check Macbook Warranty online, then Find Apple Support Center nearby or Call Apple Support for Book Appointment at apple genius bar.