Many users rely entirely on the Apple ecosystem due to its capability to sync between Apple peripherals. It could be as normal as syncing your Notes between your iPhone and Mac. However, for this, you must sign in with the same Apple ID. But, due to some unknown reasons, not all users are able to take advantage of Apple iCloud services. Yes, some user encountered that their iCloud Notes aren’t syncing. If that’s the same with you, you came to the right spot. Here’s how you can fix notes that are not syncing between Mac and iPhone.
Can’t Sync Notes Between Mac and iPhone? Here Are the Reasons
Here are fifteen ways to fix notes not syncing between Mac and iPhone.
Solution #1. Check Apple Server Status!
When you are going through a syncing issue when using any Apple device, check Apple Server Status. Here, you can verify which Apple services are active. If you find the Apple Notes server under maintenance, Apple will notify you on that page. And if this is the case, you only need to wait until Apple gets it fixed.
Solution #2. Check if you have signed with the same Apple ID
Remember, in order to sync Apple services across the Apple Devices, you’ll need to sign in with the same Apple ID. To check it, follow the steps below.
1. Launch the Settings App on your iPhone. Tap on Apple ID[Your Name] at the top.
2. On the next screen, you’ll see you signed in with an Apple ID.
1. Go to the Apple Menu at the top left corner of Mac. Select System Settings… from the menu.
2. Click on Apple ID[Your Name].
3. You’ll find your Apple ID on the next screen. Ensure that there are no pending Apple ID verifications for privacy concerns.
Solution #3. Verify if notes are stored locally
If you turn on local storage for Notes, it will not sync across Apple peripherals. In this scenario, you’ll need to turn it off at all times Create New notes in iCloud, or Move to iCloud notes. To do so, follow the steps below.
1. Go to the Settings App on your iPhone.
2. Swipe down and select Notes.
3. On the next screen, ensure the toggle next to the “On My iPhone” Account is disabled.
1. Press the Command + Space to access Spotlight Search. Enter Notes and click on it to open.
2. Select Notes from Mac Menubar. Choose Settings… from the menu.
3. Uncheck the box next to the Enable the On My Mac account.
Solution #4. Enable iCloud Services for Notes
You must ensure you have turned on iCloud backup for notes on your macOS and iOS. To enable it, follow the steps below.
1. Access the Settings App on your iPhone. Choose your Apple ID[Your Name] at the top.
2. On the next screen, select iCloud. Tap Show All in Apps Using the iCloud menu.
3. Tap Show All in Apps Using the iCloud menu. Hit on the Notes. At last, make sure the toggle next to the Sync This iPhone is enabled.
1. Click on the Apple Logo at the top left corner of the Mac screen. Choose System Settings… from the menu.
2. Select Apple ID[Your Name] at the top. Click on iCloud.
3. In the Apps Using iCloud Menu, click on the Show All Button.
4. Choose enable toggle Notes on.
5. Click the toggle next to the Sync This Mac is enabled. Click on the Back Button.
Solution #5. Force Quit Notes App
Another basic solution you need to perform on your Apple devices is to force quit Notes App. That’s because keeping multiple applications running in the background can affect the performance of a specific app. Thus, we suggest doing so.
1. Swipe up from the bottom and hold in the center to access the App cards running in the background.
2. Now, simply swipe up all app cards to close them from running in the background.
1. Go to the Apple Menu from the left top corner of the Mac screen. Select Force Quit… from the menu.
2. Press Control + A to select all apps. At last, click on the Force Quit Button.
3. Choose the Force Quit in all apps on Mac.
After this, check for the issue; if your Apple notes aren’t syncing, you must move to the following solutions.
Solution #6. Disable VPN
As we all know, the VPN is used to create a virtual private network for a desired location. Apple services will malfunction in some of these locations. If you currently using the VPN on your iPhone or Mac, we suggest turning it off. For that, you can read our article on how to disable VPN on iPhone. For Mac, click the VPN icon in the Mac menu bar and disable VPN.
Solution #8. Sign out and sign in the Apple ID
When you sign out and sign in from your Apple peripherals, the Apple server may take the time to restart the service and verify if there is any unsynched data. Therefore, we suggest signing out and back in will resolve the problem. To do so, follow the steps below.
1. Navigate to the Settings App on your iPhone. Tap on your Apple ID[Your Name] from the top.
2. Swipe down and tap on Sign-Out Button. Further, confirm your action. After this, restart your iPhone and re-registered the same Apple ID once again.
1. Navigate to the Apple Menu located at the top-left corner of Mac. Choose System Settings… from the menu.
2. Select Apple ID[Your Name] at the top.
3. Click on the Sign Out Button. Further, confirm your action. After this, restart your iPhone and re-registered the same Apple ID once again.
Solution #9. Disable other Apple ID
If multiple Internet Accounts are configured on your Mac or iPhone, turning it off temporarily will allow the iCloud Notes to sync accurately. To do so, follow the steps below.
1. Head to the Settings App on your iPhone.
2. Swipe down and select Notes.
3. On the next screen, tap on Accounts.
4. Choose the Gmail Account you want to delete.
5. Next, tap on Delete Account.
6. Re-confirm it by tapping on Delete From My iPhone.
1. Navigate to the Apple Menu located at the left top corner of the Mac screen.
2. Choose System Settings… from the menu.
3. Click on Internet Account from the left pane.
4. Now, select the Gmail Account from the right side.
5. At last, click on Delete Account…Button and reconfirm your action.
6. Choose the OK button on Mac.
Solution #10. Update iOS & macOS
Another possible and practical way to resolve iCloud notes not syncing on Mac & iPhone is by updating the OS. That’s because the software bug could be the reason why your Apple Notes aren’t syncing. To update your device OS, follow the steps below.
1. Go to the Apple Menu located at the top left corner of the Mac screen. Select System Settings… from the menu.
2. In the left pane, select General. Click on Software Update on the right side.
3. Now, let your Mac check for updates. If available, click on Download Now.
1. Head to the Settings App on your iPhone. Search and select General.
2. Tap on the Software Update. Now let your iPhone check for updates.
3. If available, tap on Install Now.
Solution #11. Restart your Apple Devices
No matter what issue you are currently facing, restarting the Apple devices can resolve most issues. Here’s how you can do so.
For iPhone: Press either the Volume Button & Side Key simultaneously until the Apple Menu appears. Drag the Power Off Slider to switch off the device. Wait for a few seconds, and press the Side Key until the device turns back on.
For Mac: Go to the Apple Menu > Restart… > Restart.
If normal doesn’t fix the issue, then you must force your Apple peripherals to fix the notes syncing issue. For that, press Command + Control + Powerful Button until your turns off. To force restart the iPhone, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Press and instantly let out the Volume Up button.
Step 2: Press and instantly let out the Volume Down button.
Step 3: Press and hold the Side Key (sleep/Wake button) until you see the Apple logo on the screen. When the Apple logo appears, release the Side Button.
Solution #12. Check Internet Connection
None of your methods go your way if you don’t have a proper internet connection. Keep note that iCloud is an internet service that requires a stable internet connection to sync between devices. However, you can try connecting Wi-Fi network if you have one and see if the issue persists. If you have a stable Wi-Fi network, you can connect to iPhone Hotspot.
Solution #13. Reset iPhone network settings
If your iCloud services aren’t syncing between Apple peripherals, then we suggest resetting the network settings. After this, check if your Apple notes are syncing between your Mac & iPhone.
Solution #14. Contact Apple Support
The only solution left to fix the Notes app not syncing between Apple devices is to Contact the Apple Support Team. That’s because they are a dedicated team of experts that can help you easily find out the reason behind it and accordingly offer you a solution. However, there are different ways to contact them; you can read our article and learn how to contact the Apple Support Team.
Solution #15. Share Apple Notes using the AirDrop
Since you cannot sync between Mac and iPhone, the best and temporary solution you can perform right now is to transfer these Apple Notes using AirDrop. To do so, follow the steps below.
To share notes from iPhone
1. Access the Notes App on your iPhone.
2. Select the note you’re willing to share.
3. Tap on the Share Button located at the top right corner.
4. After this, select AirDrop. Choose your device name.
To share notes from Mac
1. Access the Notes App on your Mac.
2. Select the notes you’re willing to share.
3. Click on the Share Button located at the top right corner.
4. After this, choose AirDrop.
That’s it! This is how you can resolve notes not syncing between Apple devices. Further, if you have any relatable queries, then feel free to drop them in the comment box below.