Last Updated on Nov 10, 2020
Apple MacBook and iMac have an excellent built-in camera that enables you to connect with your colleagues, friends, a family using FaceTime, Skype, Facebook, and more. But recently users are reported that there Mac camera is not working after the update, Mac camera not working zoom, Mac camera won’t work in a Facebook video call, and many more issues encountered with Mac’s Camera with your macBook Models “MacBook Pro 2020, MacBook Pro 2019, MacBook Pro 2018, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 2010, 2011”.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
So after looking at all of these issues, we have made a full-proof list of potential solutions that can quickly fix every reported bug.
14 Fixes Workarounds will help you to fix Camera Won’t work on Mac: MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac
Listed solutions also utilize to correct error included Omagel Mac camera not working, Mac Camera not working Skype or Camera no connected.
Solution 1: You should Restart Your Mac
Restarting Mac can fix Camera not working on Mac if the problem is small. It is often found that this technique resolves undoubtedly every issue. In case your Mac problem may though then continue you to the next clue without worrying.
- Click on Apple Logo () From Top Mac Menu.
- Click on Restart, Hope it will fix after Restart your Mac.
- Still not fixed then follow the next solution.
Solution 2: Potential Quick Fixes to get rid of Mac Camera Won’t Work.
For you, if rebooting Mac doesn’t work, then there are many solutions available to fix the Camera not working after the update.
- #1: Try using another application on your Mac like PhotoBooth, iChat. This, you will come to know that the Camera is not working in facetime only, or the issue is more prominent.
- #2: Another troubleshoots is to log in with a different username if it works then the problem is with Apple ID.
- #3: Remove the camera and FireWire cable from Mac and re-plug after few minutes to see if the Mac camera is not working on Skype.
- #4: FaceTime camera is not working on MacIf. The issue is specific with FaceTime, then it might be possible that MacBook’s Camera got stuck on a built-in camera and unable to choose the display camera. Let’s fix FaceTime camera not working in macOS Mojave
- Step #1: Open “FaceTime” in Mac.
- Step #2: Go to “Menu” and click on “Video.”
- Step #3: Choose “FaceTime HD Camera (Display)”
Solution 3: Apply sudo killall VDCAssistant Command
- Step #1: Close every open tabs or App that uses Mac’s Camera like FaceTime or Skype.
- Step #2: Open “Terminal” directly from Spotlight.
- Step #3: Enter the given command line,
- sudo killall VDCAssistant
- Step #4: One more time enter code in the terminal,
- sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
- Step #5: Insert the Administrative password and proceed further.
- Step #6: Re-launch the FaceTime or Skype or whatever App which you were using.
NOTE: if you are entering both the commands in a single line then you have to follow this syntax:
sudo killall VDCAssistant;sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
Enter the admin passcode and complete the process.
Solution 4: Use Activity Monitor App [Worked]
rswc90 said this solution is worked for him.
Till now, you aren’t able to fix the Mac camera not working on a Facebook video call, then our last option is force closing the process from the Activity Monitor.
- Step #1: Close the Applications which needed a camera like PhotoBooth, FaceTime, or discord.
- Step #2: Open the “Applications” and then click on “Utilities Folder.”
- Step #3: Next, open “Activity Monitor.”
- Step #4: Click on “Process Name,” it will organize the list in alphabetical order.
- Step #5: Locate “VDC Assistant” and click to open it.
- Step #6: Now, click on (X), which is located on the top left corner, and close the program.
Solution #5: Check for Software Update
the old version of software sometimes lack some function of the Mac, so kindly check for update and do an update if any available. Apple is continuously giving a free update with some bugs fixed. On Your Mac, you can enable automatic download software updates or Do it manually by following these steps. Go to the Apple logo on Mac > System Preferences > Software Update [Wait for Check it] if any update is available then download it first and install.
Solution #6: Remove or Disconnect all Third-Party Peripherals
Disconnect all third-party accessories from your Mac system. That might be Bluetooth Wireless or Wired connection. Smart Bluetooth System of Mac automatically connect your Homekit accessories like Wireless bluetooth webcam for Mac, That’s we don’t know in most of the case. If bluetooth is not in use, then Turn off bluetooth under the System preferences [Apple logo from top right mac menu bar > System Preferences.. > Bluetooth > Turn off Bluetooth or Remove all bluetooth Device manually] or From top mac menu.
Solution #7: Reboot your Mac in Safe Mode
Using safe mode that detects and fixes all isolated issues that happen on the startup disk of your Mac. This mode loads only kernel extension of your mac. That delete font caches, Kernal caches, and Other system cache files. So we can identify the issues if the previous macOS is creating matters like this. Safe mode is not useful to use your Mac because this mode will disable some mac functionality like accessibility features, File sharing, USB functionality, etc. To put your Mac in safe mode, Restart your Mac, Go to the Apple logo on the Mac menu > Restart option from Dropdown. Press and hold the SHIFT KEY from your Keyboard after your mac play startup sound. Release after your Mac show Mac login screen and Safe more label at the top right corner of Mac’s screen. Now check your Camera is working fine. If it’s working, then you should repair your Mac drive or Reinstall/Clean install macOS because it’s a problem with the OS. Camera problem is not fixed in safe mode, then your mac’s camera hardware issues or software issues as well.
Solution #8: Create a New User Account: Try in New Account File System
Suddenly your mac has issues with the Camera; You have no time to Repair your Mac drive or Reinstall/Clean install macOS. I recommended creating a new user account on your Mac. I solved many problems when some third-party software is creating the macOS file system. Create an administrator account in the same mac, Go to the Apple logo on Mac menu > System Preferences > Users & Group > Click on lock to Unlock and add a new account > Now Click on + Sign to Add new account > Select a User role from DropdownDropdown [Administrator],
Give a name, Enter the password, and finally click on Create User. that’s it. Now Restart your Mac and login on another account to check your issues fixed or not.
Solution #9: Repair Disk No Data Loss and Quick
We can repair your Mac Drive without reinstall mac OS and Remove user data from Mac. First Aid takes action on particular MacOS disk partition if your Mac is running dual boot macOS. So we need to open Disk Utility on your Mac. Use Spotlight Search [Command + Space] and try Disk Utility or Open it from the launchpad. Once it option, Select your macOS drive partition, Now Click on First Aid option from top tab > Click on Run button to run Fist Aid on Selected macintosh HD Drive.
Some macOS problems can’t resolve the First Aid disk repair option. So, you could fix using the install macOS. This process will download and install the latest version of macOS. Follow the next solution.
Solution #10: Reinstall a Copy of macOS To Fix Camera issues
The reinstalling process overwrites the existing file and replaces corrupted files and folders. Also, your Mac is updating the latest macOS version; then, you must try this solution. Before starting, your Mac has an active internet connection Because of your Mac download macOS file during installation. Now, Restart your Mac [Go to the Apple logo on Mac > Restart]. After mac play, startup sounds quickly press and hold command + R key from the Keyboard. Until your Mac screen shows the macOS utility window on the screen. Now the second option in a window is reinstalled macOS.
Go with this option and follow the on-screen instruction. In this process, you have to select the mac drive that you want to repair or reinstall.
Solution #11: Install a New copy of macOS after Erase Drive: Clean install macOS
[This process doesn’t require bootable USB drive of macOS] The clean install process is also easy and not time-consuming, I highly recommend to fix all types of software issues that affected by the Bad file system, Install Third-Party software, Slower mac and more. Before starting this process, Keep backup of your all-important Data from your Mac to External Drive or Use Time Machine Backup process.
- Restart your Mac [Apple logo from top Mac menu > Restart]
- Quickly Press and Hold command + R keys from the Keyboard after listening to startup sound from your mac. Release Keys after you see MacOS utility windows on the Mac screen.
- The last option on macOS utility windows is Disk utility. Click on it. and Select the Drive from Sidebar, And click on Erase option from the top.
- Once Drive has erased. Close this Disk Utility window. and Back to MacOS Utility windows. Now Click the install macOS.[Second Option]
- Your Mac will download the latest macOS version on Mac. Follow the on-screen instruction on Mac to install a new copy of macOS in the desired drive.
Solution #12: Camera Allow to Access by Third-Party Software
Your MacBook Camera privacy settings preventing the use of a third-party app or software installed on Mac. So on Newer macOS, you will find these settings under the Macbook system preferences.
Goto system preferences > security & privacy > privacy > camera, click the checkbox for allowing App like google chrome to access the Camera.
Solution #13: Use iSight Camera
Today’s market you have a good quality USB external Camera, that you can use any system like Mac, Windows, or Laptop as well. If you MacBook unable to wakeup the Camera and Your Mac is too old so you can’t get free service from apple store. Repairing cost is very high in this case. So I recommend purchasing an external USB camera with Microphone.
Solution #14: Camera Hardware problem
Any of the above solutions are not useful for you. then sorry for the inconvenience. Now the First check your MacBook is under warranty period and new that recently purchased. So don’t west much time even 1 day. Because under warranty period you will get free service from apple sore or replacement in some cases after analyzing your Mac at the nearby app store.
No Camera Available on MacBook Pro
While working from home, we need Mac’s Camera the most, for conferences or client meetings. What if MacBook shows no camera available? You don’t have to worry about Mac’s inbuilt Camera, check the following solutions, and fix the problem.
Solution 1: Force Quit VDCAssistant & AppleCameraAssistant
VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant are crucial background process that accelerates and helps the inbuilt Camera of MacBook to work. Using the Terminal App, you can kill the Camera and once you do, all the camera applications like Skype, or Mac’s Camera itself, turns off for once.
- Launch the Terminal App, from the Spotlight search (cmd+space).
- Type the following code in Terminal App,
- sudo killall VDCAssistant and hit return.
- If asked, then enter the password.
- Similarly, type,
- sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant and press return key.
Now, try to use MacBook Pro Camera and check if the problem persists.
Solution 2: Make Sure MacBook’s Built-In Camera is Selected as Primary Camera
You can check for the primary Camera from the specific applications like Skype, FaceTime because there is no standard settings option available from the Mac. It can only be done, after going to the settings of a particular app, from where the Camera is not working on Mac and choose a built-in camera.
There is no Connected Camera on MacBook Air.
What you can do when there is no connected camera on MacBook Air is, restart the Mac and also the application where Mac Camera Not Working.
- Restart MacBook, to do so, click on the Apple menu and choose Restart.
If this doesn’t work, then check the next one.
- Press Opt+Command+Esc and select the application like Skype, FaceTime, and click on Close.
Is fixed Camera now working on your Mac? Don’t Miss out to share the success way in the comments!