Table of Contents Show
- 14 Fixes Workarounds will help you to fix Camera Won’t work on Mac: MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac
- Primary Check:
- Is Your Mac Camera Restriction On?
- Check Mac Camera Privacy for App & Browser
- Solution 1: You should Restart Your Mac
- Solution 2: Potential Quick Fixes to get rid of Mac Camera Won’t Work.
- Solution 3: Apply sudo killall VDCAssistant/ appleh13camerad Command
- Solution 4: Use Activity Monitor App [Worked]
- Solution #5: Check for Software Update
- Solution #6: Remove or Disconnect all Third-Party Peripherals
- Solution #7: Reboot your Mac in Safe Mode
- Solution #8: Create a New User Account: Try in New Account File System
- Solution #9: Repair Disk No Data Loss and Quick
- Solution #10: Reinstall a Copy of macOS To Fix Camera issues
- Solution #11: Install a New copy of macOS after Erase Drive: Clean install macOS
- Solution #12: Camera Allow to Access by Third-Party Software
- Solution #13: Use iSight Camera
- Solution #14: Camera Hardware problem
- No Camera Available on MacBook Pro
- There is no Connected Camera on MacBook Air.
Are they wondering about the mac or M2/M1 mac internal or external camera not working for every application, including FaceTime, Google Meet, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc.? Apple MacBook and iMac have an excellent built-in camera that enables you to connect with your colleagues, friends, a family using FaceTime, Skype, Facebook, and more. Recently, users report that their Mac camera is not working after the update, Mac camera not working zoom, mac camera issue google meet, mac Camera Not working on Microsoft Teams, or Mac camera won’t work in a Facebook video call.
More, many more issues encountered with Mac’s Camera with your MacBook Models Apple’s Silicon M1-series, M1 Pro (MacBook Pro), M1 Max (MacBook Pro & Mac Studio), M1 ultra (Mac Studio), M2 chip of 2022 (MacBook Pro & MacBook Air) Or Intel chip Mac computer, “MacBook Pro 2020, MacBook Pro 2019, MacBook Pro 2018, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 2010, 2011, iMac Pro, Apple Studio Display”.
So after looking at all of these issues, we have made a full-proof list of potential solutions that can quickly fix every reported bug.
14 Fixes Workarounds will help you to fix Camera Won’t work on Mac: MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac
Listed solutions also utilize to correct errors including Omagel Mac camera not working, Mac Camera not working, Skype or Camera not connected.
Mac mini (M1 Series) and Mac Studio do not have a built-in camera, so you should buy either a built-in webcam monitor or the best webcam for Mac.
Is Your Mac Camera Restriction On?
All macOS Version has robust Parental control from an older time. So, nowadays, MacOS Comes with Screen Time restrictions control. So, let’s have check-in details and Enable Internal Camera Use from screen time if blocked. Then, follow the Below steps and Turn on Mac, MacBook camera to use the installed Mac app or Third-Party Video Calling, Meeting Apps, or Browser.
If the Camera Restrictions is Turned on for your mac then the Zoom app says “Your camera is turned off”, FaceTime Shows a Black screen, and the Photo booth says, “There is no connected camera.” error. let’s fix this by Turning off the Camera restrictions in Screen Time.
- on MacOS Ventura:- Click on the Apple Logo from the top menu > System Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy > App Restrictions > Allow Camera, Turn on toggle.
- macOS Monterey:- Click on the Apple Logo from the top Mac menu > System Preferences > Screen Time > Content & Privacy from the left side of the window > And Click on Apps Tab > Enable Check box for Camera. That’s it.
Now, also follow the App and Browser lever camera restrictions if it’s enabled. Typically, the Camera is blocked under the screen time, and then You can’t see the camera option under privacy showing in the next check.
Check Mac Camera Privacy for App & Browser
Now, you must allow the app and Browser to use your Mac Internal or External camera. To reach out to this setting,
On MacOS Ventura:- Go to the Apple Logo from the top menu > System Settings > Security & Privacy > Allow Apps for Using Camera for Microphone, Camera.
On MacOS Monterey & Earlier: Open the System preferences from Top Apple Logo on the Mac menu > Click on Security & Privacy > Camera > And Select the App to Allow Camera access [Unlock the lock to apply changes].
Additionally, Most of Video Calling platforms and Meeting platforms like Zoom, Webex, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams are available Web-based. So that users can access it from the Browser, and Users have to enable it From the Browser’s address bar, here’s below the screen, to allow Camera access within Browser.
Also, Google Chrome users have to enable “Use hardware acceleration when available” from Browser settings; in new Tap, enter: chrome://settings/system in the Address bar, then Hit the enter.
You will see, Use hardware acceleration when available, enable the toglge and Re-launch the browser. Now Your Browser can use more resources and RAM when requires.
Let’s Jump into deep solutions one by one,
Solution 1: You should Restart Your Mac
Restarting Mac can fix the Camera not working on Mac if the problem is minor. It is often found that this technique resolves undoubtedly every issue. In case your Mac problem may, though, then continue you to the next clue without worrying.
- Click on Apple Logo () From Top Mac Menu.
- Click on Restart, Hope it will fix after Restart your Mac.
- Still not fixed then follow the next solution.
Solution 2: Potential Quick Fixes to get rid of Mac Camera Won’t Work.
For you, if rebooting Mac doesn’t work, then there are many solutions available to fix the Camera not working after the update.
- #1: Try using another application on your Mac like PhotoBooth, iChat. This, you will come to know that the Camera is not working in facetime only, or the issue is more prominent.
- #2: Another troubleshoots is to log in with a different username if it works then the problem is with Apple ID.
- #3: Remove the camera and FireWire cable from Mac and re-plug after few minutes to see if the Mac camera is not working on Skype.
- #4: FaceTime camera is not working on MacIf. The issue is specific with FaceTime, then it might be possible that MacBook’s Camera got stuck on a built-in camera and unable to choose the display camera. Let’s fix FaceTime camera not working in macOS
- Step #1: Open “FaceTime” in Mac.
- Step #2: Go to “Menu” and click on “Video.”
- Step #3: Choose “FaceTime HD Camera (Display)”
Solution 3: Apply sudo killall VDCAssistant/ appleh13camerad Command
- Step #1: Close every open tabs or App that uses Mac’s Camera like FaceTime or Skype.
- Step #2: Open “Terminal” directly from Spotlight.
- Step #3: Enter the given command line,
- sudo killall appleh13camerad
- sudo killall VDCAssistant
- Step #4: One more time enter code in the terminal,
- sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
- Step #5: Insert the Administrative password and proceed further.
- Step #6: Re-launch FaceTime or Skype or whatever App which you were using.
NOTE: if you are entering both commands in a single line, then you have to follow this syntax:
sudo killall VDCAssistant;sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
Enter the admin passcode and complete the process.
Solution 4: Use Activity Monitor App [Worked]
rswc90 said this solution worked for him.
Until now, you cannot fix the Mac camera not working on a Facebook video call, and then our last option is force closing the process from the Activity Monitor.
Step. 1→ Force Close all the applications that use your Mac camera. Go to the Apple Logo > Force Quit > Select All Apps > Force Quit.
Step. 2→ Open the Activity Monitor and Search Camera process using the search box and click on the Close button.
Step. 3→: To Force Quit the camera process and Restart the Process automatically.
- Step #1: Close the Applications which needed a camera like PhotoBooth, FaceTime, or discord.
- Step #2: Open the “Applications” and then click on “Utilities Folder.”
- Step #3: Next, open “Activity Monitor.”
- Step #4: Click on “Process Name,” it will organize the list in alphabetical order.
- Step #5: Locate “VDC Assistant” and click to open it.
- Step #6: Now, click on (X), which is located on the top left corner, and close the program.
Solution #5: Check for Software Update
The old version of software sometimes lacks some Mac function, so kindly check for updates and install them if any are available. Apple is continuously giving a free updates with some bugs fixed. On Your Mac, you can enable automatic download software updates or Do it manually by following these steps.
First, go to the Apple logo on Mac > System Preferences > Software Update [Wait for Check it] if any update is available, then download it first and install it.
Solution #6: Remove or Disconnect all Third-Party Peripherals
Disconnect all third-party accessories from your Mac system. That might be Bluetooth Wireless or Wired connection. Smart Bluetooth System of Mac automatically connects your Homekit accessories like Wireless bluetooth webcam for Mac; that’s what we don’t know in most cases.
If bluetooth is not in use, then Turn off bluetooth under the System preferences [Apple logo from top right mac menu bar > System Preferences.. > Bluetooth > Turn off Bluetooth or Remove all bluetooth Devices manually] or From the top mac menu.
Solution #7: Reboot your Mac in Safe Mode
Try A safe mode that detects and fixes all isolated issues on your Mac’s startup disk. This mode loads only the kernel extension of your mac. That delete font caches, Kernal caches, and Other system cache files.
So we can identify the issues if the previous macOS is creating matters like this. Safe mode is not helpful to use your Mac because this mode will disable some mac functionality like accessibility features, File sharing, USB functionality, etc.
To put your Mac in safe mode, Restart your Mac, Go to the Apple logo on the Mac menu > Restart option from Dropdown.
On Apple Silicon M1 Mac:- Turn off your Mac, Press and Hold Power key [Touch ID Button], Until you see Startup Volume and Options, Press Shift Key and Click on Startup volume > Now, Click on Login with Safe mode. Log in to your Mac and check the issue if fixed.
On Intel Mac:- Next, press and hold the SHIFT KEY from your Keyboard after your mac play startup sound. Release after your Mac show Mac login screen and Safe more label at the top right corner of Mac’s screen. Now check your Camera is working fine.
If it’s working, you should repair your Mac drive or Reinstall/Clean install macOS because it’s a problem with the OS. The camera problem is not fixed in safe mode, then your mac’s camera hardware issues or software issues as well.
Solution #8: Create a New User Account: Try in New Account File System
Suddenly your mac has issues with the Camera; You have no time to Repair your Mac drive or Reinstall/Clean install macOS. I recommended creating a new user account on your Mac. I solved many problems when some third-party software is creating the macOS file system. Create an administrator account in the same mac.
On macOS Ventura:- Go to the Apple Logo > System Settings > Users & Group > Add Account > Enter your Mac Login password to Unlock > Select “Administrator” and Enter username and Password. To Create user.
On MacOS Monterey:- Go to the Apple logo on the Mac menu > System Preferences > Users & Group > Click on lock to Unlock and add a new account > Now Click on + Sign to Add new account > Select a User role from DropdownDropdown [Administrator],
Give a name, Enter the password, and finally click on Create User. That’s it. Now Restart your Mac and login into another account to check your issues are fixed or not.
Solution #9: Repair Disk No Data Loss and Quick
We can repair your Mac Drive without reinstall mac OS and Remove user data from Mac. First Aid takes action on a particular MacOS disk partition if your Mac is running dual boot macOS. So we need to open Disk Utility on your Mac. Use Spotlight Search [Command + Space] and try Disk Utility or Open it from the launchpad. Once it option, Select your macOS drive partition, Now Click on First Aid option from top tab > Click on Run button to run Fist Aid on Selected macintosh HD Drive.
Some macOS problems can’t resolve the First Aid disk repair option. So, you could fix using the installed macOS. This process will download and install the latest version of macOS. Follow the next solution.
Solution #10: Reinstall a Copy of macOS To Fix Camera issues
The reinstalling macOS in the Recovery mode on Mac, process overwrites the existing file and replaces corrupted files and folders. Also, your Mac is updating the latest macOS version; then, you must try this solution. Before starting, your Mac has an active internet connection Because your Mac download macOS file during installation. Now, Restart your Mac [Go to the Apple logo on Mac > Restart].
On Apple Silicon Mac [M1]:- After a wait for 10 seconds, Press and Hold the power button [Touch ID Button] until you see the startup volumes and Options > Select “Options” > Now, your Mac turn into Recovery mode > Select Reinstall Mac from macOS Recovery screen.
On Intel Mac: After mac plays, startup sounds quickly press and hold command + R key from the Keyboard. Until your Mac screen shows the macOS utility window on the screen. Now the second option in a window is reinstalled macOS.
Go with this option and follow the on-screen instruction. In this process, you have to select the mac drive that you want to repair or reinstall.
Solution #11: Install a New copy of macOS after Erase Drive: Clean install macOS[This process doesn’t require a bootable USB drive of macOS] The clean install process is also easy and not time-consuming; I highly recommend fixing all types of software issues that are affected by the Bad file system, Install Third-Party software, Slower mac, and more. Before starting this process, Keep a backup of your all-important Data from your Mac to an External Drive or Use the Time Machine Backup process.
- Restart your Mac [Apple logo from top Mac menu > Restart]
- Apple Silicon Mac[M1]:- After wait for 10 seconds, Press and Hold the Power button [Touch ID Button] until you see the Startup volumes and Options on screen, Click on Options and Find the macOS utilities in macOS Recovery mode.
- Intel Mac:- Quickly Press and Hold command + R keys from the Keyboard after listening to startup sound from your mac. Release Keys after you see MacOS utility windows on the Mac screen.
The last option on macOS utility windows is the Disk utility. Click on it. and Select the Drive from Sidebar, And click on Erase option from the top.
Solution #12: Camera Allow to Access by Third-Party Software
Your MacBook Camera privacy settings are preventing the use of a third-party app or software installed on Mac. So on Newer macOS, you will find these settings under the Macbook system preferences.
Goto system preferences > security & privacy > privacy > camera, click the checkbox for allowing apps like google chrome to access the Camera.
Solution #13: Use iSight Camera
In today’s market, you have a good quality USB external Camera that you can use on any system like Mac, Windows, or Laptop. But, if your MacBook cannot wake up the Camera and Your Mac is too old, you can’t get free service from the apple store. Moreover, the repair cost is very high in this case. So I recommend purchasing an external USB camera with Microphone.
Solution #14: Camera Hardware problem
Check the Hardware issues, and Showing Messages like “No video capture devices were found“.
Go to the Apple logo > About This Mac > System Report > Hardware > Camera > And see What’s here showing.
If your Mac shows “No video capture devices were found” next contact the Apple customer help desk to Diagnose the problem
Any of the above solutions are not useful for you. Then sorry for the inconvenience. Now the First check your MacBook is under warranty period and new that was recently purchased. So don’t waste much time, even 1 day. Because under warranty period, you will get free service from apple sore or replacement in some cases after analyzing your Mac at the nearby app store.
No Camera Available on MacBook Pro
While working from home, we need Mac’s Camera the most for conferences or client meetings. What if MacBook shows no camera available? You don’t have to worry about Mac’s inbuilt Camera; check the following solutions, and fix the problem.
Solution 1: Force Quit appleh13camerad OR VDCAssistant & AppleCameraAssistant
VDCAssistant and AppleCameraAssistant are necessary background process that accelerates and helps the inbuilt Camera of MacBook to work. Using the Terminal App, you can kill the Camera and once you do, all the camera applications like Skype, or Mac’s Camera itself, turns off for once.
- Launch the Terminal App, from the Spotlight search (cmd+space).
- Type the following code in Terminal App,
- sudo killall appleh13camerad, and hit return.
- sudo killall VDCAssistant, and hit return.
- If asked, then enter the password.
- Similarly, type,
- sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant, and press the return key.
Now, try to use MacBook Pro Camera and check if the problem persists.
Solution 2: Make Sure MacBook’s Built-In Camera is Selected as Primary Camera
You can check for the primary Camera from specific applications like Skype, and FaceTime because there is no standard settings option available from the Mac. So after going to the settings of a particular app, it can only be done from where the Camera is not working on Mac, and choose a built-in camera.
There is no Connected Camera on MacBook Air.
What you can do when there is no connected camera on MacBook Air is restart the Mac and the Mac Camera Not Working application.
- Restart MacBook, to do so, click on the Apple menu and choose Restart.
If this doesn’t work, then check the next one.
- Press Opt+Command+Esc and select an application like Skype, or FaceTime, and click on Close.
Is Your Mac Camera Fixed? Don’t Miss out on sharing the success way in the comments!