Last Updated on Apr 7, 2021
If you are the one who is facing difficulties while adjusting the volume on Mac, then don’t worry you will get the ultimate way to fix Mac volume keys not working (Volume keys F10 for Mute, Volume decrease F11, and Volume up F12 key)in this article. Generally, there are many reasons behind accidently volume keys not working problem like system malfunctioning, keyboard defect, third-party application, and more.
we are happy to help you, submit this Form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Hopefully, your Mac’s volume keys start working after trying our tricks. And in case it didn’t then you have to bring a new keyboard or contact Apple Store.
Fix Mac Volumes Buttons Won’t Work after macOS update
Solution 1: Check Sound Settings of Mac
Before moving to any hard step, make sure the internal sound settings are correctly set.
Visit the System Preferences > Sound > Output tab.
Make sure the Mute option isn’t enabled next to the Output Volume. Choose the Speaker as Output speaker from the same window, if you’re using Mac’s speaker, then the Internal Speaker must be selected.
If any wireless headphone or speaker is connected to the Mac, it will appear in the Output tab. Still no response? Disconnect all the peripherals from the Mac and then see the Sound works.
Solution 2: Reboot Mac
Restarting Mac can help you fix the normal bugs and software issues, click on the Apple logo > Restart.
Solution 3: Check the Keyboard Settings
If Mac volume buttons become irresponsive then it might be possible by mistake, someone has changed the keyboard preferences in your Mac. So take a look before trying any other thing.
- Step #1: From the Spotlight, open “Keyboard System Preferences.”
- Step #2: There check whether the option like Use all F1, F2…Etc keys as function keys are enabled or not.
- Step #3: If you find that this option is enabled then disable it.
Solution 4: Remove Google Music Extension
Google Music extension in chrome can cause Mac volume buttons not working in macOS Mojave. It is observed that when you download Google Music extension, then it takes control of all media keys and also your iTunes. So remove it if you have in Mac.
Solution 5: Reset PRAM/NVRAM
If the above troubleshooting didn’t work for you, then this should fix Mac Volume buttons not working.
- Step #1: Shut down the Mac.
- Step #2: Press the Power button and then Command+Option (Alt)+R+P keys together.
- Step #3: Hold the keys until you hear the third chime from the Mac.
- Step #4: Now after the third chime release the keys.
- Step #5: Mac will boot as usual.
Try using volume buttons on Mac.
Solution 6: Reset Core Audio
If the above basic tricks won’t work, then remove the backend process that supports the sound system of the machine. Using Terminal and Activity Monitor, you can force close the audio system of the Mac.
- Press command+space to launch Spotlight search, type Terminal, and launch it.
- Enter: sudo killall coreaudiod
- And press return.
- Enter the Mac admin password to complete the process.
- Alternatively, using the Spotlight search, open the Activity Monitor.
- Type coreaudiod in the search panel and click on it.
- Lastly, click (X) to shut down the audio system.
Solution 7: Contact Apple Support
Unfortunately, if the above-listed solutions don’t make Mac’s volume keys working, then you need to take help from the Apple team. They will help you to fix this issue.