Last Updated on Jul 7, 2021
For the specific time Mac users want to speed on the system regularly like After update the current MacOS, On Login time, or Access Apps, Use Safari or a third-party web browser. Get rid of all the problems by following the tips below. That’s really easy and handy on Mac Freezes up constantly or slow.
Many of you, impatient to use the new version “macOS Big Sur 11.3/ macOS Monterey 12” on Macbook. Consistently every update comes with new features and gives more comfort to users, but sometimes it leads to some problems which irritate the user. So here are some important tricks so that you can use the device smoothly.
♿︎Note: If you are experiencing the slow mac after the macOS update. Then, That’s normal. Becuase new macOS file system read your data and make it functional with new feature comes with the update. So, leave your Mac alone or keep working on it. if your problem is old then you have to solve using the below tips.
Fixes to consider for Improve Mac Speed and Performance: Bypass Mac Freezes Issue
1) Disable Location Services
When you are on the WiFi connection, System regularly checks the current location and Mac freezes every few seconds or App in Use. So, Disabling Location Services will improve the speed of the system because when you turn off it, the apps which use location services will automatically be stopped and hence it results in good speed. To disable it follow the steps:
Step #1: open system preference (Go to the top Apple Menu or Search in Spotlight search)
- Step #2: tap on security and privacy
- Step #3: open up privacy, and on the side, you will see Location Services, turn it off.
2) Disable Night Shift Mode on Mac
Night Shift Mode is a new feature which was launched with the updated iOS 9.3 and in Mac 10.12.4. For Mac users, it is available in 2012 macs and later models. To turn off Night Shift Mode follow the steps:
- Step 1: Tap on the Apple symbol and open up System Preferences
- Step 2: Tap on “Display”.
- Step 3: there you will find three options ‘Display’, ‘Color’ and ‘Night Shift Mode’.
- Step 4: tap on Night Shift Mode and from “Schedule” and turn it off.
Turning on Night Shift Mode will cause the constant use of Location Service if sunrise and sunset option is selected. And it will create a burden on the system, so it is better to turn it off or choose the “Custom” option.
3) Check for Updates (On OS and APPS)
Another factor that can be possible for the freezing of macOS Catalina is the Update of OS as well as of Apps. It is necessary to maintain Mac up to date with all the latest versions of software because whenever any update arrives, it comes with new features which help the system to run smoothly. But before updating you should consider some factors like,
Check whether the Mac is compatible with that version.
Enough storage should be there – Apple logo from top menu > About this mac > Storage > Wait for to see Available storage.
Prefer good internet connection or possibly use a wired connection.
Before updating, must back up all the data
And there are a lot more things to consider while you update mac. Applications that you are using on mac should be updated from time to time to run the device flawlessly. Here, some steps are given so that you can easily check updates on mac as well as applications of it.
To Update macOS: Apple logo > System Preferences > Software Update > Download and install New software update.
- if you are on Beta macOS Version, then remove Beta and Switch to Public macOS.
For Apps Update:
Step 1: to open frequently search App Store on the Spotlight Search box.
Step 2: there on the top you will find an option “Updates”.
Step 3: Next, you need to search for updates and tap on install if an update is available.
4) Force Close the Apps
If mac is not responding properly or the application is freezing then you must force close that application and re-launch it. It is very easy to force close applications, and there are various alternatives are available to close applications.
Direct click on Apple logo and click on Force Quit Application or use Keyboard Shortcuts (Shift + Option + Command + ESC).
On the dock you will find the running application, right-click on that application will enable you to force close that application.
5) Disable Reopen Windows when logging back in
If you feel special when Mac Freezes after login, then uncheck “Reopen Windows when logging back in”. See below image,
Before ShutDown, Uncheck The option in the above screen
You enabled this option on shutdown Mac, in the next log in your Mac recalls all running apps first, So it will take a long time to access the screen or use the app.
6) Restart Mac in Safe Mode
Generally when a system or device is not responding, then you prefer to reboot it. But rebooting should be done in safe mode for better results. Entering mac in safe mode is a very simple process. By following a few steps, you can do it by yourself:
Follow these steps for Safe mode on M1 Mac.
- Step 1: at first shut down the device
- Step 2: Press the power button to directly on Mac, MacBook, and iMac.
- Step 3: turn on the mac, and then press the shift key as soon as you hear a sound until the apple logo appears.
- Step 4: wait for the system to enter in safe mode
- Step 5: login on Mac and the upper right corner you will see safe mode symbol.
7) Disconnect Additional devices
If the mac is connected with devices like printer or speakers even if they are not compatible with the system, then it is advisable to disconnect it at the very first moment. Rather than this if more devices are connected, then it is also a major reason behind the lagging of speed or freezing of mac.
8) Apple Diagnostic and Apple Hardware Test
Apple Hardware Test is very useful when you have doubts about any hardware part of the system. This test will give you complete information regarding which part of the system is an obstacle for you. The following steps will only apply to those macs which are introduced after 2013.
- Step 1: Remove or disconnect all the external devices which are connected to mac except keyboard, Ethernet connection, Mouse, AC plug, and Display. Apart from these if any other device is connected, then it will cause an error.
- Step 2: shut down the mac
- Step 3: Next, start the system and press and hold D until Apple Hardware Test icon appears on the screen.
- Step 4: After that, you need to select the language which is comfortable for you using a mouse or up and down arrow.
- Step 5: now to begin the test click on the test button
- Step 6: as soon as the test will be completed you can review the results on the screen.
- Step 7: After that, you need to restart or reboot the device for quitting the test.
9) Delete or uninstall unused apps
Sometimes we don’t know which apps are hidden, or we are not using, and they act as culprits for our mac, so it is better to remove that app. There are lots of benefits of deleting this kind of apps like your storage will increase, RAM will remain free, devices will work flawlessly, and much more. One can delete the applications which are downloaded from the app store or another website, but you can’t remove the applications which are part of a system like Safari.
Apps from the App store can be deleted by the below procedure
- Step 1: on the dock hold down the app which you want to remove until it starts to wiggle and then delete the app.
- Step 2: later, if you want to download it you can access that app from the app store.
Check Task Manager from all running processes in Activity Monitor. Shut down unnecessary apps. In my experience, I Face the issue or Slow down the system when I use Mac apps like Skype, Google Chrome, MS Office Excel, or Word.
10) Optimize storage space
Storage Optimization is another alternative to improve the speed of the device, and it is a very easy way compare to others. macOS will store data in the cloud and will save the storage on the system and make it available for you whenever you needed. Storage optimization will help the device to delete videos, music, and other files which are not been used by you.
- Step 1: go to Apple menu
- Step 2: Tap on About This Mac
- Step 3: Then click on Storage
Step 4: Open Recommendations and then the process will begin automatically.
Store in iCloud: When you need storage space, This option auto-release space by moving local documents and photos into iCloud.
Optimize storage: Auto remove watched iTunes movies, TV Shows, Email Attachments.
Empty trash automatically: Automatically Erase items after 30 days from Recycle bin.
Reduce clutter: Delete documents and Data that all are no longer needed.
Some apps are unable to remove or uninstall, try CleanMyMac and get GBs of Free space, Reindex Spotlight, Old log files, iTunes files, and Backup, Repair Disk, Delete Web cookies and Web extensions automatically on macOS Catalina, macOS High Sierra. It will diagnosis Safari related problems – Mac Safari freeze on type in the address bar or While we launch safari and other apps as well.
11). Downgrade to Earlier MacOS
Recommended by Apple Expert
if you feel that your Mac suddenly lagging or slow after upgrade macOS On Mac then Apple’s Expert recommending to Downgrade Mac to Earlier macOS. Still Wait, You have a chance to speed up Latest macOS with New Upgradable Hardware. Explained in next step.
12). Upgrade Hard Disk: HDD to SSD
Boost your Mac Performance up to 10x to15x faster with SSD installation. An upgrade is a super easy method to speed up your Mac’s overall process, you can do it yourself or With the help of a Technician.
- Buy Crucial MX500, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB [Storage Doesn’t depend on Speed].
- Learn from YouTube’s Hands-on Video “Upgrade SSD on Mac with the Model number”.
- And use Proper tools to open the Mac and install a new SSD Drive yourself.
13). Apple Support
If you feel that your Mac has some hardware issue, then diagnose the issue with apple support nearby or Book an appointment at apple genius bar. have a great chance to get free replacement or repair for Mac under warranty check online.
14). Final Titbits
Once you upgrade the SSD, get back to us and share your experience with us in the comment box. Hope you enjoying this article.